University of Washington School of Public Health
Senior Research Statistician - University of Illinois at Chicago
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: February 7, 2017
Senior Research Statistician
The University of Illinois at Chicago Hospital and Health Sciences System (UI Health), Population Health Sciences Program (PHSP) is hiring a Senior Research Statistician. The PHSP engages clinicians, patients, and other stakeholders in developing, testing, and implementing models of care that improve health in the communities served by UI Health. The Senior Research Statistician will be the primary data analyst/ statistician, providing analytical and methodological oversight to a research portfolio, focusing on healthcare delivery science and pragmatic clinical trials. The Senior Research Statistician will also provide support to clinical trials run out of the Breathe Chicago Center© (BCC), a clinical research entity of the Department of Medicine. The PHSP and BCC primarily conduct research studies sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
The Senior Research Statistician is responsible for meticulous data analysis and data management for multiple ongoing research studies, including: analyzing and interpreting data; conducting outcome analyses; developing analysis plans for clinical trials; data cleaning; database development and maintenance; and the overall management of data systems and statistical analyses for the PHSP and BCC research portfolio.
We are seeking a senior level data analyst to:
- serve as the lead data analyst across multiple clinical trials;
- contribute to decision-making on study design and data collection, ensuring alignment with study objectives;
- identify appropriate statistical methodology needed in support of study objectives;
- conduct high-level statistical analyses;
- develop analysis plans, ensuring statistical methods and corresponding details are appropriate and consistent with the study design;
- assist in the preparation and writing of manuscripts;
- assist in the preparation and writing of grants;
- analyze data from research studies to meet objectives of the study protocol;
- serve as a statistical methods resource to researchers at the PHSP;
- oversee the maintenance databases across multiple projects; and
- oversee the data management staff at PHSP.
The successful applicant should:
- Have an M.S. or M.P.H. in Epidemiology, Statistics, or a closely related field and at least 5 years of relevant work experience OR have a Ph.D. in Epidemiology, Statistics, or a closely related field and at least 1 year of relevant work experience
- Be knowledgeable in clinical trial methods
- Have experience and knowledge of database development and management (preferably REDCap)
- Demonstrates practical understanding of fundamental statistical concepts and methodologies
- Demonstrates ability to explain statistical concepts to non-statisticians to enhance their understanding of the analytical approach
- Be proficient in statistical methods used to assess outcomes of clinical trials
- Have strong research and analyses skills and have an understanding of scientific research in general
- Have advanced analytical skills, including high-level experience with a statistical programming package (preferably R, SAS or Stata)
- Be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to a variety of audiences
- Be comfortable working with others in a team environment
- Be able to multi-task and prioritize
Please send resumes and cover letter to Christian Gossett at email@example.com, and apply at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=75141&job=senior-biostatistician-medicine.
To learn more about the Population Health Sciences Program, please visit https://vcha.uic.edu/about/population-health-sciences-program/; for the Breathe Chicago Center, visit https://breathechicago.uic.edu/.