University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Specialist - Ecology and Environment, Inc.
Closing Date: April 3, 2017
Posted: March 3, 2017
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is seeking an Environmental and Field Data Specialist to join our Superfund Technical Assessment and Response Team (START) in our Seattle office. This position provides the opportunity to work exclusively with the USEPA to support and manage a broad range of hazardous substance emergency responses, site investigations, and homeland protection-oriented activities. The qualified candidate will directly help protect human health and the environment by serving on an interdisciplinary environmental emergency response team comprised of chemists, engineers, environmental scientists, and information specialists.
- Work on a team tasked with environmental emergency response & readiness
- After hours on-call duties, travel, and outdoor field work at hazardous waste sites primarily in USEPA Region 10 (Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska)
- Plan, conduct, manage, and report on field assessments for oil and hazardous substances releases
- Operate and interpret data from environmental sampling/monitoring equipment in the field
- Develop field operating procedures and technical documentation related to oil spills, hazardous substance releases, biological agents, chemical warfare agents, radiation, and/or weapons of mass destruction.
- Support development of data management program
- Design, develop, and implement data collection, processing, and analysis techniques for various data types and write technical documents to support these activities
- Database design and management
- Serve as data manager, field team member, and/or project manager
- Project and budget management and client interaction
- BS/MS in Environmental Science, GIS, Chemistry, Natural Science, or related discipline
- 1+ years of related experience with an environmental consulting firm or government agency
- Current OSHA 40-hr HAZWOPER certification required
- Experience planning and performing work at hazardous waste sites performing duties that include sampling/work plan development, field documentation, operating field instrumentation, sampling (soil, water, air), shipping samples, evaluating laboratory data, and reporting
- Experience developing and maintaining Data Quality Objectives and Quality Assurance/Quality Control requirements
- Familiarity working with environmental data, data types, and various data management systems (e.g. SCRIBE, EQuIS, LIMS)
- Experience with data/database design and management (e.g. MS Access/Excel, SQL, SDE, etc.) preferred
- Experience with mobile applications/environments for field data collection (e.g. Filemaker, iForm Builder, ESRI Collector, etc.) preferred
- Experience with data visualization and presentation tools
- Experience writing technical documents such as Standard Operating Guides and Procedures
- Valid driver’s license and ability to work on-call and mobilize into the field with little or no notice
- Ability to conduct fieldwork throughout the U.S. and carry up to 50 lbs. of field gear in challenging conditions including extreme weather
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with excellent communication, technical writing, and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
E & E is a global network of innovators and problem solvers, dedicated professionals and industry leaders in 85 scientific, engineering, and planning disciplines working together with our clients to develop technically sound, science-based solutions to the leading environmental challenges of our time. E & E offers opportunities for growth in a team-oriented environment. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.; Visa sponsorship will not be provided. Please view our website at www.ene.com to apply on-line.
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is an EO and AA employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled/and other protected categories.