University of Washington School of Public Health
Research Associate - Washington State Institute for Public Policy
Closing Date: April 3, 2017
Posted: March 8, 2017
Salary Range: $4,669-$6,069 per-month of full-time work (DOQ)
This posting is for two full-time overtime-exempt, “at-will” appointments, exempt from Washington State Civil Service rules and the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.
Washington State Institute for Public Policy Profile
The Washington State Institute for Public Policy (WSIPP) is a nonpartisan public research group located in Olympia, the hub of Washington State government. WSIPP is a team of multidisciplinary researchers who conduct applied policy research for the state legislature in a creative and collaborative environment. WSIPP is strongly committed to the core values of nonpartisanship, quality, and impartiality. Created in 1983, WSIPP has become nationally and internationally recognized for the design, depth, and quality of its research reports and benefit-cost analyses.
Research Associates conduct research on public policy topics. The work primarily involves meta-analysis, data and fiscal analysis, report writing, and presentations. In addition, Research Associates may assist in designing and implementing outcome evaluations. The positions involve close consultation with WSIPP colleagues and state legislative members and staff.
Nature and Scope
WSIPP conducts research at the direction of the state legislature or its Board of Directors. Current research topics include health care, public health, higher education, criminal justice, education, child welfare, and behavioral health. Ideal candidates have a broad interest in evidence-based public policy, are self-starters, are comfortable with ambiguity, possess strong quantitative and communication skills, and have an eagerness to learn.
• Conduct literature reviews and meta-analysis and assist with benefit-cost analysis.
• Consult with legislative staff, state agencies, local governments, national experts, and stakeholders.
• Write reports and present findings to the legislature and other audiences. Additional Duties
• Complete other projects upon request.
• Assist in designing and conducting primary research on major public policy topics to inform state decision makers.
• Research Associates’ work portfolios may vary depending on new legislative and Board-approved assignments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to work diplomatically, professionally, and in a nonpartisan manner on controversial issues.
• Ability to critically review research literature and draw policy-relevant conclusions.
• Knowledge of rigorous scientific outcome evaluation methods.
• Ability to perform advanced statistical analysis, including experience using a statistical package such as SAS, STATA, R, or SPSS.
• Ability to work collaboratively in groups as well as to independently and flexibly manage own workload to meet assigned deadlines.
• Strong presentation, public speaking, and writing skills for both technical and lay audiences.
• Ability to work across multiple disciplines and with a variety of legislative and state agency partners.
• Master’s (or equivalent) in relevant discipline.
• At least two years of experience and/or coursework in quantitative methods such as multiple regression or outcome evaluation design.
• Recent work experience or graduate-level training in statistics, meta-analysis, econometrics, outcome evaluation, or benefit-cost analysis.
• Work experience or formal training in public health, health care policy, criminal justice, education, economics, public policy, or a related social or behavioral science. A background in criminal justice or public health is strongly preferred.
• Work experience in a government setting.
Research Associates work in an office environment with occasional meetings in a group setting. Flex scheduling is allowed, and a partial telecommuting schedule may be approved by the Director.
Conditions of Employment
Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
To Apply Please visit https://evergreen.peopleadmin.com/postings/1423 to apply.