University of Washington School of Public Health
Strategic Business Consultant - Management Analyst 5 - Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
Closing Date: April 28, 2017
Posted: March 28, 2017
Are you passionate about helping organizations meet their potential? Are you a facilitator, a collaborative leader, and a quick learner, who is open to changing mental models, analyzing both successes and failures for opportunities for improvement and enjoys the challenge of ambiguity?
Are you looking for an organization that values people? Labor & Industries is looking for a Strategic Business Consultant to provides enterprise wide services including, strategic planning and performance measurement and reporting, overseeing progress of agency initiatives, project management, and business consulting.
Why work for Labor & Industries? We have a flexible work environment! Your work/life balance is respected, your voice matters and Washington State provides one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington’s 2.5 million workers.
The Strategic Business Consultant works within the Office of Strategy and Performance, a group of bright, friendly, and ambitious public servants dedicated to helping L&I keep its promises. In this role you will use your creative mind to inspire leaders, managers, and employees to align their strategies and processes with the agency vision and desired organization culture. You’ll collaborate with executive sponsors, leaders, and management to ensure projects and operations support L&I strategy. You’ll guide the divisions and programs in an effort to operationalize and strategize efforts based on customer requirements, and to help them develop a performance measurement system that executives can use to understand how the business areas are performing.
Here is a sneak peek at a few of the responsibilities:
- Manage projects with enterprise impact, providing oversight and guidance for implementation strategies.
- Research, publish, and promote program evaluation best practices throughout the agency.
- Provide easily accessible resources, information and expert advice to executives and managers.
- Assist in communicating the building blocks of L&Is culture (core values, vision, mission, etc.).
- Develop ways to gain visibility into the organization’s culture. This includes a way to measure, report and see the effect of culture and change enterprise-wide and all the way down to the individual.
- Work with business area leaders to identify enterprise-wide opportunities for improvement.
- Advise sponsors, managers, and teams on actions, behaviors, and decisions that are helping or hindering team performance.
- Work with all levels of organization to strategically align processes, and establish visual management systems to ensure operations are aligned with customer requirements and agency goals.
- Research multiple schools of thought relating to leadership development, change management. and progressive workplaces.
- Develop tools used to teach leaders how to maximize their effectiveness in sponsorship roles.
- Work with agency executives to identify key communication messages to be shared with leaders, extended management teams, and stakeholders.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, organizational development, organizational psychology, operations research, or similar field.
- Experience using Lean or other process improvement methodology.
- 2+ years’ experience with project management.
- 2+ years’ using analytical problem solving methods, such as government performance measurement, business statistics, budget analysis, process improvement, business planning or strategic planning.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills demonstrated by successfully influencing team or organizational behavior.
- Strong analytical problem solving skills.
- Organization and time management skills, capable of managing multiple projects and assignments at a time white also maintaining a project monitoring system.
- Skilled at organizing and summarizing information including the use of matrixes and templates.
- Proven ability to make good decisions based upon analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Experience developing measures for projects and operational and strategic performance systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment with rapidly changing priorities and ambitious and ambiguous assignments.
Note: In addition to your application, please include a letter of interest/cover letter and resume. Please attach during the application process.