University of Washington School of Public Health
Senior Director, Hospital Systems - American Cancer Society
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: April 6, 2017
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Leads the achievement of mission and income goals through comprehensive relationship management with prioritized health system accounts. These accounts include, but are not limited to, NCI designated cancer centers, CoC accredited systems, VA facilities, integrated delivery networks, and large oncology practices. Provides cancer control consultation and implements evidence based strategies and ACS cancer control programs designed to have broad population impact on reducing cancer incidence and decreasing mortality rates. Ensures goal achievement through the effective leadership and management of diverse staff and the engagement of health system partners and ACS volunteers.
• Identifies prioritized health systems engagement on prevention, early detection, screening, and quality of life initiatives, employee health & wellness programs, and population health-related efforts to achieve cancer control priorities.
• Works within and across Regions to achieve high engagement levels for health systems, delivering against mission and income strategies by ensuring staff meet/exceed ACS customer promises and function as strategic advisors.
• Establishes strategy for health system partners, prioritizes accounts, establishes ownership, and ensures the development of an account plan to achieve ACS goals.
• Responsible for the implementation of an account team strategy for managing prioritized system relationships within the region and serve as primary relationship manager to assigned accounts.
• Aligns health systems affinities and needs with ACS program of work to achieve individual high impact mission and income opportunities which support enterprise goals.
• Ensures evidence-based strategies are used as solutions and monitor the implementation status and results.
• Manages, coaches, develops, and trains health systems account managers to meet Region and enterprise mission and income goals; ensures that responsibilities and accountabilities of all direct reports are well-defined.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission.
• Responsible for overseeing ACS hospital based navigation in designated Health Systems.
• Ensures Health System managers and Mission Delivery staff coordinate effectively to deliver high-quality customer service to health systems and their patients.
• Strategically coordinates with other Health Systems staff and their accounts for the integration of work in the medical neighborhood.
• Collaborates with Community Development, Distinguished Partners, and ACS CAN staff to maximize health system engagement in ACS activities, events, and fundraising efforts within the market.
• Collaborates with Cancer Control, Community Development, and Distinguished Partners, Communications & Marketing, Business Planning & Operations and ACS CAN leaders to increase the Society’s community presence and mission impact.
• Assure compliance with all governmental regulations and organizational policies which involve personal health information and constituent privacy, e.g., HIPPA.
• Supports the VP, Regional Cancer Control to ensure mission, top line, and bottom line goals are reached as well as compliance with enterprise policies.
• Works in partnership with ACS CAN, including efforts to increase ACS CAN member
Bachelor’s degree in public health, health administration, healthcare, nonprofit management or equivalent required; graduate or doctorate degree a plus. Preferred minimum of six years of experience in health care related management, administration, sales or account management, with a proven background in fundraising and executive relationship development, preferably with a multi-million dollar organization.
Demonstrates Health Systems Competencies:
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Balances stakeholders - Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Plans and aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Able to cultivate relationships with targeted health systems to create a sense of urgency related to awareness of cancer as a major health problem, motivate to action in prevention and early detection, and influence strategies and techniques.
• Ability to represent the Society effectively and professionally to hospital health systems, related institutions, community leaders, including working with disparate populations and diverse constituents.
• Knowledge of health insurance and coverage issues, advocacy, and government policy.
• Able to quickly become a subject matter expert in health and medical content.
• Knowledge of primary care infrastructure and able to work with physicians, key administrative staff, nurses and managed care professionals.
• Demonstrated success managing a team of diverse relationship/account managers with mission, fundraising, and health industry experience.
• Ability to understand and work within a complex organizational structure.
• Strong experience with community-based program planning and implementation.
• Knowledge of product marketing/sales concepts.
• Outcome driven with ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities.
• Ability to manage and motivate groups and individuals.
• Proven ability to collaborate within staff account teams in order to develop appropriate plans for hospital constituents.
• Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong market, community and constituent perspective.
• Broad knowledge of the overall structure, programs, and services of the American Cancer Society including policies and procedures.