University of Washington School of Public Health
Senior Consultant - FSG
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: April 13, 2017
FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. Through strategy, evaluation, and research we help many types of actors – individually and collectively – make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
Our teams work across all sectors by partnering with leading foundations, businesses, nonprofits and governments in every region of the globe. We seek to reimagine social change by identifying ways to maximize the impact of existing resources, amplifying the work of others to help advance knowledge and practice, and inspiring change agents around the world to achieve greater impact.
About FSG’s US Health Practice
We envision a society where everyone lives in healthy communities and the benefit of good health is equally accessible to all.
FSG helps clients understand and adapt to the changing health care landscape. We understand that factors outside the health care delivery system, such as housing, food insecurity, and neighborhood quality, contribute to persistent health disparities that have substantial human, societal, and economic costs. FSG leverages our experience working in non-health areas, such as education and community development, to help clients address the social determinants of health to achieve their health improvement goals.
In order to help address this challenging national problem, we have placed health equity at the heart of our work. FSG has extensive experience building and guiding cross-sector, collaborative, collective impact initiatives in health and in creating optimal health for communities and populations requires a systemic effort. We help clients identify opportunities to align and deepen the health promotion efforts of a diverse array of actors, including foundations, hospitals and health systems, health insurers, public agencies, and corporations.
Senior Consultant (Boston)
Senior Consultants are integral members of our consulting team and work on client projects across a variety of social issues. For this role, we are seeking a Senior Consultant with experience in the US health space, in particular, public health, epidemiology and biostatistics. We expect this person to spend the majority of their time on health focused projects; however, assignments may include projects in other practice areas as needed.
FSG is a small firm, so Senior Consultants are expected to participate in all aspects of the firm’s work including the following:
- Contribute to and independently lead modules of client work as a team member by:
- Conducting and synthesizing research in an accurate, thorough, and timely manner and thinking proactively about ways to improve research efforts
- Designing surveys and interview guides that are efficient and effective
- Independently performing rigorous and accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Translating analyses into thoughtful, data-based insights and client recommendations
- Communicating viewpoints and ideas in articulate, compelling, and creative ways
- Reviewing appropriate health care and public health literature, including sources of state and national health statistics
- Advance the intellectual capital of the firm and identify ways to help FSG meet its mission to reimagine social change
- Take an active role in developing FSG’s internal culture and infrastructure, in particular, FSG’s US Health practice area, including contributing to our community of practice
- Support the professional development of team members
- Build and maintain client relationships; support efforts to develop new business by contributing to proposal development and writing
- 3 – 5 years of strategy consulting experience or other relevant work experience (e.g., roles that require rigorous research, qualitative and quantitative analysis, and strategic planning) such as in local or state public health department
- MPH strongly preferred (or other relevant graduate degree)
- Extensive experience with quantitative and qualitative research, including familiarity with analysis of epidemiological and population health data
- Familiarity with health policy, health care and public health sectors, including principles of population health and health equity
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to translate analyses into insights
- Significant experience in a consultative role (e.g., working for a consulting firm, as an independent consultant, or as an internal consultant); ability to operate in a fast-paced, client services environment
- Passion for social change and demonstrated commitment to working in the social, public health or health care sectors
- Experience considering and applying equity and inclusion principles strongly preferred; work with marginalized communities is a plus
- Strong interest in one or more of FSG’s strategies for social change
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills; presentation and facilitation experience strongly preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong, self-directed project management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally up to 20-30% of the time (travel requirement varies by project)
This is a full-time role in FSG’s Boston office. Salary is competitive for position and sector; it also includes a generous benefits package. As part of those benefits, FSG offers 100% paid health insurance for its full-time, US employees as well as disability and life insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan. Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our US offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this Visa will eventually require sponsorship.
How to Apply:
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and your resume via our online application system. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.