University of Washington School of Public Health
VP Global Affairs - Hospital for Special Surgery
Closing Date: July 18, 2017
Posted: April 26, 2017
As part of its mission to provide the highest-quality musculoskeletal care and improve the quality of life throughout the world, HSS facilitates best-practice knowledge transfers and a variety of partnerships with the international musculoskeletal-medicine community.
HSS pursues relationships with organizations that have a similar mission and vision: dedicated to high-quality patient care, academic excellence, and cutting-edge research. Partnerships and initiatives may be academic, clinical, research-based, operational, and organizational, as well as administrative, or a combination of any of these focus areas. Depending on the circumstances, HSS also provides training and education of physicians in their homeland or in the U.S.
HSS currently has global partnerships in education and training, humanitarian work, and business development in numerous countries around the world, including China, Greece, Brazil, England, France, and South Korea. The hospital formally launched its first humanitarian affiliation with FOCOS in Ghana, which is aimed at improving the delivery of quality orthopedic care, education and training, and research.
HSS is now seeking a VP, Global Affairs to oversee international strategic initiatives supporting the HSS mission. The VP will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Global and Academic Affairs.
The Vice President will have direct responsibility for the Department of Global Academic Partnerships, the International Center and humanitarian efforts. These departments span areas that include knowledge-transfer initiatives, patient care at HSS, and strategic partnerships with international academic centers and hospital systems, as well as private business entities. Business development projects will be part of the portfolio of work linked to the hospital’s Global Ventures Initiatives.
The VP will have fiscal accountability and responsibility for staff development, management, and staff performance.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an extensive understanding of the institution, its strategy and mission, and the global strategic plan and priorities.
- Actively participate in hospital-wide strategic planning and leadership.
- Be knowledgeable about the global environment as it relates to healthcare leadership and all current HSS global activities; strategize on ways to leverage existing relationships and create new revenue streams.
- Develop a business plan for growth in the International Center that is aligned with the hospital’s mission.
- Identify new business opportunities and collaborate with the Global Ventures department.
- Explore opportunities to further develop HSS’s international reputation and brand; market HSS partnerships globally; oversee the development of branded materials for all global initiatives.
- Lead contractual agreements with international partners and deliver on contractual obligations.
- Provide superior customer service to all constituencies.
- Provide global partners with status reports on a timely basis.
- Develop and implement a knowledge codification system that will enable efficient transfer of knowledge to global partners.
- Using knowledge of pricing and financial modeling, manage program and department budgets.
- Provide leadership for department and staff using sound performance management principles to establish a team-based culture in which employees feel valued and are motivated and highly engaged.
- Master’s Degree in Health Administration, International Affairs, Public Health or an M.B.A. in a related field is required.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- A professional with significant management/leadership experience (minimum 8-plus years) in healthcare is required. General experience in academic, multi-specialty institutions, with some knowledge of orthopedics, is highly desirable.
- Previous global experience required. Fluency in foreign language(s) is a plus.
- Partnering, negotiating, and contracting skills in all sectors of business, academia, government, and NGOs.
- Broad-based business sense, with strategic insight and proven success in creating business strategies and implementing them to achieve goals. Strong financial planning and accountability.
- Excellent business assessment skills; capable of synthesizing complex data and making sound recommendations.
- Experience resolving issues through innovative problem solving and solution development. Possesses a continuous-improvement mind-set.
- Outstanding interpersonal, relationship management and customer service skills; demonstrated success at cultivating good working relationships for/with C-suite and Boards, as well as with government officials and physicians.
- Excellent leadership skills and experience managing a department through well-established performance management skills. Proven success in developing a high-performance work environment and culture with a highly diverse workforce.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and influence a variety of people and audiences. Experience writing compelling proposals and making effective presentations to a variety of audiences. (Writing/presentation samples will be required.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Proven project management skills; capable of establishing priorities and delivering high-quality work on a timely and cost-effective basis.
- Unquestionable personal integrity; exudes credibility and professionalism; quickly builds confidence in others.
- A smart, insightful, dynamic strategic leader with the necessary drive and stamina to respond to the demands of the position and working collaboratively to achieve results.
- Flexibility to travel when required.
How to Apply:
The compensation and comprehensive benefit package is competitive.