University of Washington School of Public Health
Neuroinformatics Post-Doc or Research Technician - Molecular & Behavioral Neuroscience Institute
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: April 28, 2017
Dr. Huda Akil and Dr. Stan Watson’s laboratory at the Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute at the University of Michigan has an opening for either a postdoctoral researcher or highly-trained research technician to specialize in high-throughput biomedical data analysis.
Work with a multi-disciplinary neuroscience research team to analyze and interpret different types of high-throughput biomedical data (e.g., microarray and sequencing data) from human and animal studies of neuropsychiatric illness (depression, bipolar disorder) and emotional behavior.
Critically evaluate the experimental design of pre-existing and proposed research projects and develop and implement appropriate data analysis pipelines.
Develop statistical strategies for integrating results and drawing conclusions across different experiments, platforms, and species.
Document methodology for reproducible research, organize and translate results for collaborators, present results at seminars and conferences, and participate in the preparation of publications (either as a primary author or co-author).
Provide statistical guidance to other laboratory members and researchers in the institute as needed.
- PhD or Master’s degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Epidemiology, Neuroscience, Biology, Genetics, or other related discipline with experience in high-dimensional data analysis.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent critical thinking skills, the ability to work independently, demonstrated creative problem solving ability, and a willingness to dive headfirst into new material.
- Experience with higher level statistics, especially those typically applied to more naturalistic data and high-dimensional datasets (such as multivariate regression and multi-level modeling, principal components analysis, clustering algorithms, surrogate variable analysis, machine learning, multiple comparisons corrections, permutation-based testing, Bayesian inference, or meta-analysis)
- Proficiency in a programming language (such as R, Python, Matlab, C++).
- A team-oriented mind-set and excellent oral and written English communication skills for effective collaboration with team members.
- Finished coursework or training in biology, neurobiology, psychology, or medicine.
- Experience in data integration, database construction, or web, desktop or mobile application development using common programming languages.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Dr. Megan Hagenauer at email@example.com.