University of Washington School of Public Health
Health Educator - International Community Health Services (ICHS)
Closing Date: June 4, 2017
Posted: May 4, 2017
This position provides both clinic and community education at ICHS clinics, which includes individual and group level education, community presentations and in-service training for staff. This position requires a multi-cultural, community-based approach to health education with a focus on chronic disease conditions and reproductive health.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Educate and counsel patients on health promotion with disease specific conditions that promote self-management of chronic disease and healthy lifestyle practices.
- Educate, counsel and provide reproductive health, birth control options, risk reduction counseling and healthy relationships support.
- Document patient visit in the Electronic Health Records (EHR) and other tracking systems per agency compliance and HIPAA requirements.
- Provide individual, group level interventions, and referrals to community-based support services.
- Develop and update patient education and staff development materials that incorporate literacy, cultural competency principles for an audience with limited English proficiency.
- Use behavioral change strategies and interventions that include motivational interviewing, readiness to change, self-management education health belief model and adult learning theories.
- Collect required data and information to complete monthly and annual reports; assist with creating report and data collection systems that work with the electronic medical records and manual record systems to meet agency and program reporting requirements.
- Develop and use various outreach strategies to assess community needs and to increase access to ICHS services.
- Provide population management support to patients with chronic diseases (such as, but not limited to hypertension, diabetes, hepatitis B).
- Participate and work on special projects, agency events, and health fairs in consultation with supervisor.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, work plans, performance measures, and continuous improvement of service delivery to assist in attaining the program, department and/or agency initiatives, goals strategies and mission through the spirit of service, teamwork and respect.
- Follow all Safety and Health guidelines, practices, standards, policies and procedures; and actively support the Emergency Preparedness program and tasks.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations and ICHS policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree in health education, public health specialty, social work or related field. Educational, counseling or teaching experience preferably in a health care setting may be substituted year for year for the education requirement.
- Experience – Two years’ experience providing individual or community health education. Proficient computer skills.
- Other Requirements – Valid Washington State driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle. Cantonese, Mandarin, or Vietnamese language skills preferred.
Application packets are available at all ICHS locations or online at www.ichs.com. Send application and resume to: ICHS, Attn: Human Resources, P O Box 3007, Seattle, WA 98114-3007 or Fax: 206-490-4011 or email: email@example.com.
More Information (pdf)