University of Washington School of Public Health
Associate, Health Systems - VillageReach
Closing Date: May 28, 2017
Posted: May 11, 2017
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Associate, Health Systems. VillageReach is a non-profit global health innovator that develops, tests, implements and scales new solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the last mile of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation– new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities.
The Associate position is based in the Seattle headquarters office of VillageReach and reports to the Senior Manager, Health Systems. The Associate, working in collaboration with regional and Seattle-based staff, will primarily support research, monitoring, and evaluation efforts among VillageReach’s portfolio of programs with an emphasis on Malawi-based programs and provide programmatic and technical support to program leads based in Seattle and regional offices. The successful candidate will be a person motivated by mission, by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial environment, and by the understanding that her or his contribution can and will impact the success of VillageReach.
- Support the design and oversight of impact and process evaluations for various VillageReach programs including methodology development, protocol documentation for ethics reviews, instrument design, data analysis, and results dissemination efforts
- Monitor research and other program implementation timelines and activities with an eye for high quality deliverables and community impact and work with regional and Seattle staff to refine program strategies and plans accordingly;
- Provide back-stopping support to Program Leads for program activities with a focus on research and M&E-related initiatives;
- Analyze health, logistics, and socioeconomic data for program design, proposal writing, research, monitoring, and evaluation;
- Contribute both strategically and tactically to analysis of program and research opportunities;
- Participate in VillageReach’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practice to help grow VillageReach’s organizational expertise in M&E as well as define and implement M&E best practices;
- Work closely with management to identify, develop and pursue new program opportunities for VillageReach with a specific eye toward research and evaluation opportunities;
- Collaborate with VillageReach Communications team to maintain up to date and relevant VillageReach marketing and outreach materials including website content, blogs, and capabilities statements;
- Contribute to the ongoing refinement and dissemination of VillageReach’s work including cultivating an understanding of the key stakeholders and partners and staying up-to-date about significant initiatives in the space; and,
- Other duties as assigned by the program and group leads.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Research Experience. Excellent and demonstrated understanding of research methods including experience in operations research and implementation science. Clear track record of applied research which can be used to drive action and policy change.
- Commitment to the mission. Passion for the mission of VillageReach, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to augment public health systems.
- Cultural competency. Demonstrated cultural competency in collaborating with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Problem solving, creative thinking, and analytical skills. Ability to collect and analyze data quickly and efficiently. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
- Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making and presentations. Strong data analysis and research skills. Grant report and proposal development experience preferred.
- International or global health experience. Experience working and/or living internationally in low-income countries. Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including ministries of health, in the areas of program design, implementation or evaluation. Experience in sub-Saharan Africa strongly preferred.
- Advocacy and outreach skills. Experience drafting documents and reports for advocacy and knowledge sharing.Ability to support the development of strategies and gather evidence for global advocacy.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Strong communication and cross-cultural management skills for working with US-based and international staff. Experience working with non-traditional mix of disciplines as is found within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization.
- Personal qualities. Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
- Fluent in English;
- A MPH, MPA or equivalent degree and at least two to five (2-5) years of relevant program experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required.
- Proficiency in data analysis, spreadsheet, presentation, and word processing programs;
- Proficiency with Excel, Access, Tableau, Nvivo, and statistical software such as STATA, and/or willingness and ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small team and geographically dispersed team; and
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time and a willingness to spend a significant period of time in our Malawi country office (up to 6 months) with a possibility of relocation at a later date depending on interest and need.
VillageReach is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at VillageReach to our online portal: www.villagereach.org/join-us/
References will be requested from selected candidates. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until May 26. No phone calls please.