University of Washington School of Public Health
AmeriCorps VISTA - Oregon Health Authority VISTA Partnership Project
Closing Date: July 30, 2017
Posted: June 7, 2017
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 50 years.
Go to https://public.health.oregon.gov/Preparedness/SERV-OR/Pages/vistapositions.aspx to learn about the 21 positions throughout Oregon.
What are the benefits of VISTA?
- A $5,815 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or $1,500 post-service stipend, upon completing your service.
- Modest living allowance: Members will receive $11,880 for the year paid every two weeks. This amount is federally taxed and reflects the pre-tax amount.
- Healthcare benefits while in service, (please visit americorpsvista.imglobal.com for more info.)
- Childcare assistance while in service.
- Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service for qualified federal loans
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
- Access to the network of VISTA & VISTA Alumni (170,000 strong)
- Valuable training (pre-service and in-service training from CNCS, state training and on-site training)
- Settling-in allowance of up to $550 for those relocating over 50 miles for a service placement. A member will also receive an additional relocation allowance, based on direct mileage between his/her home of record and site. This translates into 23 cents per travel mile plus 10 cents a mile to cover shipping costs not to exceed $1,000. No shipping receipts are necessary.
- In our program, mileage reimbursement for trips will also be available. Some sites are able to provide transit passes and other benefits.
What are the benefits of joining the Oregon Health Authority VISTA team?
The Oregon Health Authority, which is the state health department, manages the project to ensure the highest quality placements. We recruit and screen the host sites and supervisors, support VISTAs during the entire onboarding process, orient your future supervisor to their duties, provide an overhead team of staff and VISTA Leaders to support you during your year of VISTA service. We sponsor a four-day kick off retreat for each team, and hold at least four other team meetings during the year, in different locations around Oregon.
Many VISTA placements are stand alone positions, but our positions are integrated as a team to provide cameraderie, professional and personal support, and ensure a high quality and productive year of service for you and the community you serve.
How do I apply?
Complete and submit the online AmeriCorps application, which can be found at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do under the Apply to Serve section. Sending cover letters and resumes to the Project Coordinator (Danielle Brown email@example.com) is strongly encouraged and may strengthen your application