University of Washington School of Public Health
Communications Manager - Department of Global Health at the University of Washington
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: June 12, 2017
The Department of Global Health was established in 2007, bridging the schools of Medicine and Public Health, with a mandate to harness the expertise and interdisciplinary power of all UW schools and colleges. Our mission is to improve health for all through research, education, training, and service; to understand and address the causes of disease and health inequities at multiple levels; and to collaborate with partners to develop and sustain locally-led, quality health systems, programs and policies. Driven by tremendous interest among both students and faculty, the Department has grown explosively to more than 400 graduate and undergraduate students. We have more than 380 faculty and 800 staff working on projects across 130 countries with our deepest ties in Kenya, Uganda, Peru, Mozambique, India, South Africa, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nicaragua and the United States.
The Department of Global Health (DGH) has an outstanding opportunity for a Communications Manager.
The DGH Communications Manager is responsible for managing the Department’s communication strategy. Working closely with DGH leadership, faculty and staff, they have outstanding written and verbal communications skills and an ability to synthesize complex, technical information, with in-depth knowledge of communications channels/platforms and an understanding of their application to a broad range of target audiences. The Communications Manager brings energy, creativity, consistency, and strong interpersonal and organizational skills to a variety of communications areas, including web content, social media, print, and internal and external news. This position reports to the Vice Chair of the Department, and represents the Department on all communications matters. The Communications Manager must function at a high level independently and in collaboration with others, while strategically assessing audience, feasibility, and effectiveness of communications across platforms. The Communications Manager will use their keen sense of design and awareness of audience to manage the creation of striking print materials and web content.
· Master’s Degree in communications, English, journalism, or related field, and 2-3 years of experience in communications or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Two or more years of supervisory experience.
· Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of global health issues.
· High comfort level interacting with researchers and members of the global health community.
· Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Excellent follow through and attention to detail.
· Experience in web content development.
· Experience with web-management software (Drupal, in particular).
· Experience with online newsletter platforms.
· Experience translating research findings into coherent content that is easily understood by the general public and policy makers.
· Basic knowledge of Photoshop.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Basic design experience.
· Familiarity with University of Washington.
· Experience managing video production.
· Experience using SharePoint.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.