University of Washington School of Public Health
Public Health Director - Klickitat County
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: August 8, 2017
Basic Job Purpose/Function:
The Public Health Director reports to the Board of County Commissioners as well as the Health Officer and the Klickitat County Board of Health. The Public Health Director supervises all aspects of the Klickitat County Health Department. Works according to State and Federal regulations, and County policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties:
- Plans, organizes, and directs the operation, administration and business management of the Klickitat County Health Department. Directs personnel management, budget preparation, planning, fiscal management, public relations, and policies and procedures formulation. Makes administrative decisions regarding the adequacy, improvement, operation and supervision of the agency and its programs according to State and Federal Regulations and Klickitat County policies and procedures.
- Develops and recommends an annual budget for presentation to the Board of County Commissioners. Maintains sound fiscal management. Negotiates agreements. Maintains and controls health-related property.
- Prepares grant applications and supervises implementation and maintenance. Determines goals, measurable objectives, and progress toward objectives, costs and technical requirements for each grant/contract.
- Develops and directs fiscal operations. Supervises data collection systems for accounting, program management, grant reports and audit reports according to internal accounting and auditing practices. Supervises preparation of revenue and expenditure reports for use by the Board of Health and the Board of County Commissioners.
- Administers departmental personnel policies and procedures and oversees supervision of all staff. Selects, hires and dismisses Department staff according to County policies and procedures
- Represents the Department at local, State and Federal levels, maintaining working relationships with community partners and convening meetings with Department staff.
- Develops network of partnerships and cooperation with Klickitat County Community.
- Develops and maintains cooperative relationships with County departments to include, but not limited to Human Services, Senior Services and departments related to land development and regulatory review; to further the County philosophy of internal and external customer service.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques and related tools/equipment to accomplish the basic function of this position, including any safety and/or legal requirements. This may, but not necessarily, include specialized skills.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be
Knowledge of Revised Code of Washington and Washington Administrative Codes pertaining to Public Health Administration in Washington State.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Environmental Health, Health Education, Business, or related fields, plus three years of experience in public health management or supervision.
Master of Public Health, Public Administration, Business Administration, Organization Development, or related fields.
Five years experience in Public Health and Education with at least two years in management and supervision.
Licenses, Certificates and Other Requirements
Professional licensing or certification in public health and/or professional discipline
Valid state driver’s license in state of residenceHow to Apply:
A Klickitat County job application must be submitted with your cover letter, resume and reference list. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position will remain open until filled. EOE. For more information on applying go to www.klickitatcounty.org/605/Personnel