University of Washington School of Public Health
Development Associate - Americares
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: August 10, 2017
Americares is an emergency response and global health organization that saves lives and builds healthier futures for people in crisis in the U.S. and around the world. Every day, Americares puts critically needed medicines and supplies in the hands of frontline health workers and develops innovative, sustainable health improvements in their communities. We are the leading nonprofit for delivering donated medicines and medical supplies to health programs around the world. We leverage this core competency with emergency preparedness, response and recovery efforts, and programs that improve health outcomes. Our programs increase access to care in more than 90 countries every year.
The Development Department at Americares is responsible for raising over $34 million annually in cash and $700 million in Gifts in Kind. We play a central role in the organization by raising funds so Americares can continue to expand its services to those in need. Your primary role will be to provide important day to day operational and administrative support and assist with initiatives that support the effective functioning and performance of the department. End result, you’ll enable them to do what they do best, raise money so we can continue to deliver critical healthcare programming to those in need.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide administrative support to the Development team
- Work with the CDO and senior team to prepare for monthly development staff meetings, bi-weekly director meetings, leadership team meetings and Monday Morning Meetings (as necessary)
- Support fundraising activities including preparation for donor trips, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship moves
- Assist with the preparation of any necessary documents or presentations for board meetings or other meetings, including annual staff retreat
- Manage calendar and help to coordinate internal and external meetings
- Serve as back up for donor relations
- Assist with CRM system as necessary
- Helps to support Vice President of Institutional Relations and team
- Support New Business Development efforts as needed, e.g., prospect research, arrange meetings; prepare meeting materials and itineraries
- Assist with writing and editing letters, e mails, donor proposals and other documents.
- Assist as needed with cultivation events, employee engagement events, our signature Annual Airlift Benefit and other donor engagement activities
- Perform other duties that may be requested by Americares.
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster Americares values of responsiveness, results orientation, collaboration, efficiency and integrity.
Must Have Skills/Experience:
- Bachelors degree preferred, some college required
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and writing
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite –PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook skills are required
- Some database experience preferred
- Previous work and/or internship experience required, (within the nonprofit sector in fundraising/development a real plus)
- Excellent proofreading abilities and demonstrated attention to detail a must
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, adhere to deadlines, and work well under pressure both independently and as part of a team
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States;
Personal Success Factors:
- Passion for our mission and a desire to work within the emergency response and global health sector – an eager idealist
- An interest in the fundraising/development field is preferred
- Highly organized with effective time management skills (lots of projects and work to juggle…)
- Comfortable and confident managing expectations of multiple stakeholders
- A commitment to excellence
- Team orientation; balanced focus on personal accountability and team goals
- Superior relationship skills, strong customer service orientation – someone who knows how to create effective and meaningful interactions with a variety of stakeholders