University of Washington School of Public Health
Policy Analyst - Washington State Hospital Association
Closing Date: September 22, 2017
Posted: August 22, 2017
WSHA has been in existence for over 80 years, and continues to grow and evolve as the needs of Washington residents and our member hospitals change.Â We are located in beautiful downtown Seattle, surrounded by wonderful views of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains with easy access to transit, rail or parking, and we are currently recruiting for a Policy Analyst in our Government Affairs Department.
The Policy Analyst position is a full-time position, and is responsible for conducting research and analysis of legal issues and legislation, collecting data, and creating thorough and concise reports of the research findings. This position will report to the Senior Director, Policy Development and will be expected to make policy recommendations, based on their research, on a variety of issues that impact WSHA’s member hospitals.
Specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Track, review, analyze and evaluate state and federal legislation, proposed policies, and regulations to determine impact on WSHA members and recommend WSHA’s position.
- Prepare thorough and concise written materials for the government affairs team that provides support for WSHA’s response or position, including but not limited to summary documents, talking points, bill reviews, issue briefs, survey and research findings.
- With the Senior Director, Policy Development work with WSHA member hospitals and health care systems to understand needs, concerns and viewpoints to help shape WSHA’s response to legislation, proposed policies and regulation.
- Conduct research and analysis on assigned issues.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations summarizing key elements of analysis to internal staff and WSHA members as appropriate.
- Working with the lead policy director or SVP, Government Affairs, respond to member requests for analysis and information on policy or regulatory issues
- Coordinate with WSHA lobbying staff as needed.
- Actively participate in and support the government affairs team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired qualifications, skills, and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD preferred but not required.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in policy and/or legal analysis in a non-profit organization, legislative or government agency, legal setting or health care system required.Â Education may be substituted for experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in project management (not Information Technology).
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy development and impact analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare persuasive reports and clear communications.
- Excellent analytic, presentation and communication skills (oral and written, in a variety of formats and contexts).
- Able to conceptualize, analyze and communicate complex policy issues.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to develop strong working relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Able to work effectively as a team member or independently.
- Proven ability to maintain effective working relationships within the Government Affairs team that promotes team collaboration.
- Maintains a high degree of professional excellence exhibiting sound independent judgement, initiative, and a high standard of ethics.
- Able to successfully manage multiple priorities and activities simultaneously.
- Proven ability to work effectively while producing high quality work in a fast paced environment with firm deadlines.
- Proficient with MS office, Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Sharepoint required.
If you have the skills and abilities listed above, feel that you would be a good fit for this position and would like to be part of this exceptional organization, please send a current resume and cover letter to https://www.ziprecruiter.com/job/74f2c7b6 for immediate consideration. Local candidates preferred and no calls please. WSHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.