University of Washington School of Public Health
Nutrition Educator (Community-based) - Americorps - Solid Ground
Part-time position, 40 hours per week
Closing Date: unknown
Posted: August 22, 2017
Nutrition Education at Solid Ground works to promote healthy eating for adults and children that experience poverty and oppression. We are a team of school- and community-based educators guided by the belief that all people deserve to live healthful lives. In this work, Nutrition Education collaborates with schools, community organizations, health centers, and local agencies to provide a curriculum consisting of 6 weekly classes that expands the knowledge, skills, and confidence of participants to prepare healthy and affordable meals at home.
Community-based Nutrition Educators will:
- Teach community-based nutrition and cooking lessons using evidence-based curricula to adults and families in communities in Seattle and King County that experience food insecurity, in collaboration with Solid Ground Nutrition Education staff
- Plan and implement Cooking Matters at the Store tours throughout the Seattle area at grocery stores and local community organizations
- Lead cooking demonstrations, publish blog posts, represent Nutrition Education at community events, and coordinate weekly grocery shopping and food ordering
- Recruit and coordinate volunteer teams to deliver nutrition and cooking lessons to adults and families
This position is contingent on funding.
- At least 18 years old (by Oct. 1, 2017) with high school diploma/GED
- Knowledge of nutrition, cooking, food security, teaching, and/or experience with farmers markets, stores, and the emergency food system or social service agencies desirable
- Ability to interact with people from various cultures, ethnicities and races as well as a commitment to challenge institutional racism
- Computer literate (MS Office Suite, MS Publisher, MS Excel, Social Media)
- Experience serving adults and families
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Proficiency in Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Cantonese or another foreign language spoken by recent immigrants to Seattle a PLUS!
- Valid driver’s license, and ability and willingness to drive own vehicle with mileage reimbursement or program vehicle with volunteer passengers to class sites throughout King County
You are really applying to two organizations—Solid Ground and the AmeriCorps program.
- To qualify for AmeriCorps, you must complete their application at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=73851&fromSearch=true. Without a completed AmeriCorps application we CANNOT consider you. AmeriCorps will email us your application once it is complete.
- To apply to Solid Ground we will need the following:
- Completed AmeriCorps application (AmeriCorps will email us your application once it is complete)
- Cover letter that demonstrates your passion and fit for this work, and indicates your interest for this position
You must provide all of the documents listed above to be considered for this position.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Paulao@solid-ground.org.
Positions open until filled.
Email at firstname.lastname@example.org