University of Washington School of Public Health
Health and Safety Engineer - Tosoh Quartz, Inc.
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: September 13, 2017
Health & Safety Engineer
Location: Portland/Beaverton, Oregon
Reports to: EHS Manager
Hours: This is an exempt position. Typically works days but may be changed either temporarily or permanently to meet the needs of the company. This may include working nights and/or weekends.
General Position Summary:
Use engineering principles to identify, recommend and implement changes to reduce worker risk of injury or illness. Assist management and employees to understand risk, and improve working conditions and practices.
- Develops, implements, and monitors company health and safety programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local health, and safety regulations.
- Performs safety inspections, main adviser to committee
- Performs Job Hazard Analysis and recommends/implements corrective actions
- Interacts with a variety of departments at all levels of the organization
- Conducts training in specific program areas (LOTO, Machine Guarding, Respiratory Protection, etc)
- Conducts new employee orientation training
- Conducts emergency response training
- Manage projects to completion
- Maintains safety equipment
- Maintains emergency equipment
Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Minimum required education and certification(s):
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- At Least 2 years of experience where health and safety is at least 50% of the position.
- Any of the following: Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST), Safety Trained Supervisor (STS), CET, or equivalent
Desired education and certifications:
- CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification
- Certified in 24-hour or 40-hour HazWoper Emergency Response.
- Emergency Medical Responder (or higher) Certification or Licensure
- Associate Safety Professional or Certified Safety Professional
Experience may be accepted in lieu of education.