University of Washington School of Public Health
Senior Consultant, Healthcare Consulting: Advanced Degree Students, Class of 2018 - ECG Management Consultants
Closing Date: October 22, 2017
Posted: September 19, 2017
At ECG, our primary emphasis is on quality—in our people and our services. When you work at ECG, we empower you to be your best. We hire you for your ability, integrity, and education, and we assign you challenging projects and help you grow professionally.
As a senior consultant, you will be part of a team responsible for solving the most complex issues faced by hospitals, health systems, medical groups, and academic medical centers. Small project teams allow you access to client executives, as well as regular contact and coaching from highly seasoned principal-level consultants. We are unique in that we offer senior consultants visibility within the firm and opportunity to work on a range of healthcare projects within one of the divisions noted below.
- Strategy and Business Advisory
ECG’s Strategy and Business Advisory (SBA) Division works with providers across the country to design strategies that drive alignment and unity while being sustainable, scalable, and adaptable. Our detailed plans incorporate qualitative findings with data-driven strategic, operational, and financial considerations that enable organizations to pursue realistic change. Our consultants bridge the gap between strategic thinking and operational implementation with sensible action plans and tactical recommendations. Practices within SBA include Enterprise Strategy, Service Line and Integration Strategy, Ambulatory Surgical Care Services, and Facility and Capital Assets.
- Operations Improvement and Technology
ECG’s Operations Improvement and Technology (OIT) Division has expertise in assessing, improving, and sustaining operational performance that helps drive physician groups, ambulatory networks, hospitals and integrated health systems toward higher performance. Our team of operations, finance, and IT experts collaborate in designing, planning, building, and implementing solutions that enhance performance. Practices within OIT include Ambulatory Performance Improvement, Revenue Cycle Performance, Operational Improvement, and Strategic IT.
- Provider Financial Services
ECG’s Provider Financial Services (PFS) Division works with leaders of health systems, academic medical centers, and independent physician groups. Practices within PFS include Compensation Services and Financial Services. Our Compensation Services practice works with clients to develop innovative compensation plans that support the transition to new payment models. Our consultants understand the complexities of tying compensation to quality, and we help healthcare executives design plans that suit the financial realities of their organizations. Our Financial Services practice provides transaction advice and expert opinions related to the value of business enterprises, arrangements, and various asset categories for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, regulatory compliance, fair value accounting, business/transaction planning, and litigation support.
- Managed Care Services
ECG’s Managed Care Services (MCS) Division helps clients position strategically, financially, and operationally for healthcare reform. We guide clients through participation in various Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial programs along with developing the operational processes and infrastructure to optimize performance under those programs. This includes payor strategy development, bundled payments, value or risk-based arrangements, reimbursement analyses and design, contract negotiations, and other operational issues impacting commercial and government revenue streams. Our consultants evaluate an organization’s readiness to transition to value-based models, identify crucial gaps, and prioritize strategic activities to appropriately pace financial and clinical integration and ultimately optimize performance in a value-based payment environment. Practices within MCS include Payment Innovation: ACO/CIN Strategy and Services, Bundled Payments, Insurance Services, and Care Model Transformation.
- Academic Health Systems
ECG’s Academic Healthcare practice partners with executive leaders of academic health systems across several service lines that focus on areas such as enterprise strategy; organizational design of the clinical enterprise; affiliation agreements; graduate medical education and AMC-community provider alliances/affiliations. We assist our clients as they revisit their clinical and academic strategy, partner with community providers, make needed changes to their organizational structure and further engage in value-based care.
As a senior consultant, your responsibilities include:
- Analyzing, synthesizing, and interpreting data to inform client recommendations.
- Utilizing financial modeling to conduct in-depth analyses and recommend executable strategies.
- Leading information-gathering efforts.
- Assisting in developing and managing work plans, schedules, and budgets.
- Assisting with client proposal development.
- Defining project analyses and deliverables.
- Working on multiple engagements.
- Communicating project progress and seeking input.
- Developing depth of technical expertise.
- Identifying follow-on opportunities and helping to scope and close such engagements.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Work closely with multiple project teams and ECG principals.
- Clean data and set up modeling for analytics.
- Take responsibility for project work.
- Communicate effectively with management and executive-level client staff.
- Identify opportunities to engage clients on future projects.
- Learn about ECG’s breadth of solutions and identify those that reflect personal and professional interests.
- Participate in peer and junior staff knowledge development and career advancement.
- Demonstrate ability to excel at consulting while balancing work and professional life.
- Act as an ECG ambassador within personal, professional, and alumni networks.
- Graduating with the Class of 2018 with a master’s degree in business administration and/or a health-related field
- Three or more years of applicable professional experience prior to graduate school (e.g., healthcare consulting and/or hospital administration/operations) ora strong business background in strategic operations, finance, or consulting
- Strong knowledge of and passion for the healthcare industry
- Proven track record of solving complex problems and completing challenging projects
- Demonstrated diagnostic, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel expertise
- Track record of excellence and passion for client service
- Demonstrated career progression with increasing responsibilities
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills, as well as facilitation and negotiation skills
- Ability to travel 60% (or more) of the time
ECG is a strategic consulting firm that is leading healthcare forward using knowledge and expertise built over the course of more than four decades to help clients see clearly where the industry is going and navigate toward success. We work as trusted, professional partners with hospitals, health systems, medical groups, and academic medical centers across the country. We thrive on delivering smart counsel and pragmatic solutions to the critical challenges facing healthcare providers.