University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist II - Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Closing Date: October 9, 2017
Posted: September 22, 2017
There is one (1) full-time Environmental Health Specialist II position available in the Public Health and Social Services Water Quality/On-Site Sewage Operations & Maintenance Section.
Specific duties include the following:
- Conducts sanitary surveys and dye tests on-site sewage systems. Reviews, manages records, and evaluates on-site sewage systems for compliance with operation and maintenance requirements. Documents inspection results and prepares documentation needed for enforcement action for failing septic systems. Offers technical support and education to the public.
- Provides technical assistance in person and over the phone, includes review of septic system permit applications, designs, and inspection reports; interprets laws and policies; receives and investigates complaints.
- Assists with program development, drafts policies and makes recommendations for consideration by department management and the Thurston County Board of Health.
- Conducts water quality monitoring in lakes, streams, groundwater, and marine waters. Investigates, samples, evaluates, and acts upon public complaints of conditions involving pollution, disease, illness or contamination. Conducts environmental studies by gathering, evaluating and reporting on data.
- Manages and analyzes water quality data.
- Writes technical reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and outdoors. Employees in this classification will be exposed to a variety of weather conditions, walking in rough terrain, and boating in rough waters. Physical hazard may result from working in proximity of heavy equipment and inspecting excavations subject to cave-in. May be exposed to pathogenic bacteria. Heavy lifting in excess of 50 lbs. may be required.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: