University of Washington School of Public Health
L&I Industrial Hygienist Supervisor - Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
Closing Date: November 17, 2017
Posted: October 17, 2017
Are you passionate about protecting the workers of Washington State? L&I is seeking an Industrial Hygienist 4 (Supervisor) to lead our team in Region 6.
This job is in our Compliance program. Its primary responsibility is to supervise the enforcement of standards regulating occupational health hazards such as noise, chemical exposures, confined spaces, blood-borne pathogens, ventilation, etc. We inspect both private sector and public-sector workplaces in industries under Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) to determine compliance with WISHA workplace safety and health standards. DOSH operates Washington State’s program under federal OSHA oversight.
As the Industrial Hygiene Compliance (IH) Supervisor, you’ll be responsible for the administration, planning, management, training, integrity and quality of the Regional IH compliance program /staff who inspect workplaces to ensure compliance with safety and health standards and in so doing you will help protect the health and safety of Washington’s workers.
Some of what you will do
- Supervise four industrial hygienists who conduct industrial hygiene compliance inspections in various industries.
- Set expectations and routinely reviewing performance, assign and monitor workloads, develop and implement training plans, accompany staff on field visits, and conduct spot checks on staff work.
- Review written inspections as well as letters to complainants and other correspondence resulting from compliance activities.
- Review reports for technical accuracy, legal sufficiency and adherence to the Compliance Manual.
- Work closely with other field IH Supervisors and DOSH to ensure statewide consistency and standards.
- Attends technical and professional training, attends peer group meetings.
Who should apply?
A professional with a Bachelor’s degree involving major study in environmental or occupational health and safety, industrial hygiene, physics, chemistry, biology, toxicology, design of hazard controls, safety and health program management.
5 years’ experience as an industrial hygienist in the field, or in government enforcement activities of industrial hygiene, including at least 3 years’ as an Industrial Hygienist or equivalent.
A Master’s Degree involving major study in industrial hygiene or related field will substitute for 1 year of experience but not for the IH level 3 experience.
What we’re looking for
- Outstanding ability to lead others by building and maintaining effective working relationships characterized by openness, honesty, mutual respect, shared commitment and clear responsibility.
- Skilled in coaching and mentoring by providing staff with information, techniques, instruction, feedback, and encouragement.
- Ability to enforce Laws, Rules, and Regulations and initiates enforcement actions in such a way that the public perceives as fair, objective and reasonable.
- Skill in the recognition, evaluation, and control of occupational health hazards, including skills in sampling and direct measuring techniques for noise and chemical exposures.
- Strong written verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Skill in handling highly stressful or adverse situations; able to work with and calm others.
- Research and analytical skills to identify, collect, organize and document information and data.
- Skill in using a personal computer to navigate the Internet, access information, and produce accurate work products to include the use MS Office products and databases specific to Labor and Industries.
- Honesty, forthrightness and professionalism in all interactions.
- Willing to travel to multiple counties which may include overnight stays.
The hiring manager is requesting that you attach the following to your electronic application
- A Letter of Interest describing how you meet the required and desired qualifications for this position;
- A detailed, current, & chronological resume