University of Washington School of Public Health
Research Associate - Human Impact Partners
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: November 3, 2017
We’re Looking for a Research Associate
This position is full time and based in Oakland, California.
The Research Associate will participate in conducting creative and mixed-methods research on a range of policies, plans and projects in collaboration with HIP staff. HIP conducts research and advocacy projects in partnership with community-based organizations to support policy campaigns that advance social justice and affect the root causes of health inequities. Through these projects, we collaborate with community groups, public health and government agencies, elected officials, academic researchers, and other stakeholders.
The primary function of the Research Associate is to participate in research involving, but not limited to, the public health and equity impacts of criminal justice, built environment, and economic security issues. The Research Associate will participate in the following ways:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Cleaning and analyzing data using Excel, or other programs, to predict how changes in social, economic, and environmental conditions may impact health outcomes
- Blending quantitative and qualitative findings to tell a holistic story about how issues under study affect health and equity
- Summarizing research findings to support partner campaigns
- Preparing presentations for use at HIP, at conferences, and for social justice organizing
- Providing public health research training and technical assistance to community groups, public health agencies, and other stakeholders
- Representing HIP’s initiatives publicly, through advocacy, testifying and meeting with officials and community leaders
- Communicating to stakeholders and decision-makers about the importance of considering health and equity in policy making
Salary: $60,000-$65,000, based on experience
Start date: January 2018
- Completion of a master’s degree in public health, public policy, city planning, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated work experience concentrated in community health, research, policy, or community organizing
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to travel as necessary to support projects and to conduct trainings
- Commitment to HIP’s values of equity, community, justice, and inter-connectedness
- Strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Strong quantitative analysis skills and experience with statistical analysis software
- Geographic Information System (GIS) experience
- Survey development expertise
- Proficient in Spanish
How to Apply
- Send firstname.lastname@example.org a cover letter, your resume including three references, and a brief writing sample including examples of research analysis.
- Please submit your application by Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
- Position available until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Human Impact Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people with lived experiences related to the issues we work on (such as criminal justice, economic security, immigration), people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ folks to seek employment or board opportunities with us.