University of Washington School of Public Health
Regional Epidemiologist, Public Health Surveillance Unit - Vancouver Coastal Health
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: January 22, 2018
|Job Title:||Regional Epidemiologist, Public Health Surveillance Unit|
|Work Site:||Chief Medical Health Office, Vancouver|
|Status:||Regular Full Time|
Reporting to the Regional Director, Public Health Surveillance, the Regional Epidemiologist works to monitor disease trends and health indicators for the purpose of the implementation of effective prevention strategies in Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). This goal is achieved through the establishment, maintenance and periodic evaluation of regional surveillance data for diseases, health indicators and determinants of health. In collaboration and consultation with other program areas within the Office of the Chief Medical Health Officer the Regional Epidemiologist will have a role on regional public health matters. Key internal partnerships include Medical Health Officers, Public Health Nurses, Environmental Health Officers, Infection Control Practitioners, Population Health, Health Protection, Emergency Management, as well as external colleagues at other health authorities, regional/hospital Epidemiologists, and provincial and federal Epidemiologists and laboratories.
VCH’s Public Health Surveillance Unit (PSHU) is a small team of epidemiologists, analysts and a biostatistician who support regional public health teams within the Office of the Chief Medical Health Officer. This position would support a variety of programs including injury, communicable disease and overdose surveillance, program evaluations and community health assessments. We’re looking for a team member with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and who is able to coordinate multiple priorities, projects, timelines and stakeholders. PHSU utilizes a number of software solutions for its work, including SAS, STATA, R, Tableau, online survey software, Excel, Access and ArcGIS. Advanced experience with at least one of the statistical software packages is required in addition to Excel and Access and intermediate experience with Tableau is desired.
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Masters’ degree or PhD in Epidemiology or related discipline.
- Preference is given to candidates with at least four years of recent related experience in public health surveillance and evidence of strong methodological skills in study design and data analysis.
- Exhibits strong epidemiologic and quantitative skills.
- Leads collation and interpretation of relevant epidemiological data.
- Will develop and utilize information and intelligence systems to underpin public health action across disciplines and organizations.
- Will undertake evidence-based reviews for specific project and programme work.
- Applies superior communication skills to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, providing advice, guidance and education consistent with good public health practice.
- Maintains current knowledge of new developments, trends and research in public health surveillance.
- Uses a variety of software applications (including SAS, STATA, R, Tableau, Excel, Access and ArcGIS) at an advanced level to develop databases, conduct statistical analyses and prepare reports.
- Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 101489-kco.
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.