University of Washington School of Public Health
ENVIRONMENTAL OUTREACH SPECIALIST - Clark County
Closing Date: February 28, 2018
Posted: January 29, 2018
Clark County is seeking an organized individual with experience in engaging in meaningful and effective community communication to coordinate Solid Waste’s Green Neighbors program. This position will be responsible for planning, organizing and participating in resource development and strategy design to carry out behavior change outreach and education to the residents of Clark County relating to natural resource consumption, waste reduction, and recycling. Clark County Green Neighbors is a residential outreach program focused on helping people who live and/or work in Clark County to live a more sustainable lifestyle. We provide information about waste reduction, recycling, natural gardening, water quality and conservation, urban wildlife, and the natural world through our website, newsletter, workshops, film library and community events.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in successfully developing and implementing education programs and campaigns targeting behavior change, including various traditional and social media strategies; engaging residents in meaningful interactions through events and activities; project management, including managing concurrent projects with multiple stakeholders; and program evaluation and measurement.
Organizational responsibilities include understanding and promoting the public health mission of the department; providing courteous, respectful, efficient customer service to all department clients; honoring diversity of all department employees and constituents; participating in department training; and striving for personal excellence in public health work.Skills/Eligibility:
- Four year degree that includes major coursework in communication, education, public administration, marketing, environmental science or related field.
- Two years of experience and demonstrated success in marketing, outreach, education, with emphasis on outreach to and working with the public focused on behavior change.
- Strong experience in social marketing, community outreach and project management – including projects involving a large number of internal and external stakeholders, multiple phases, and large numbers of volunteers and team members.
- Knowledge of the local government role in advancing waste reduction.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; including making presentations to a variety of audiences throughout the community.
- Ability to interpret and explain technical and/or complex policies and programs with clarity to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in social marketing, community outreach and project management.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, website content management,
- Experience with data management and evaluating program outcomes.
Apply online on our website @ www.clark.wa.gov/human-resources/before-you-apply. Application materials are due by the closing date listed on the recruitment. Please read the Job Posting material thoroughly to determine application requirements.
Application Review – Incomplete applications will not pass the review; attaching a resume or referring to a resume does not substitute for a completed application. Candidates will be evaluated based on the content of their applications and those deemed most qualified will be invited to participate in the remainder of the selection process.
Cover Letter (required) – In addition to the Clark County application, applicants will submit a cover letter detailing their experience in the areas mentioned above. Document must be added to the Documents section of My Application. Please include the Recruitment Number in the file name (i.e., Cover Letter IRCxxxx.doc).
Oral Interview – The interview will be job related and may include, but not be limited to, the qualifications outlined in the job announcement. Candidates deemed most qualified will be invited to participate in the remainder of the selection process.
Employment References may be conducted for the final candidates, including verification of education.
Driver License/CDL verification and license abstract checks will be performed prior to final selection.