Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/snohd for a complete job description and to submit your resume/application.
Note: This position is for the food program only. Position will be open until filled, with first review date being 02/09/2018.
Under direction of assigned Environmental Health (EH) Section Supervisor (or other EH management staff), incumbent is an experienced environmental health specialist who performs a wide range of activities in the Environmental Health Division. Individuals assigned to this position are expected to apply a thorough understanding of food, water and waste-borne communicable diseases, potential public health risks associated with solid and hazardous waste and their means of transmission and control to work situations that are varied as well as routine.
The position will provide technical support and consultation to the assigned section staff. The Lead Sanitarian is expected to participate in program planning, development of policies, procedures and regulations, program implementation and evaluation as well as providing technical support to field staff and performing fieldwork as assigned. May require some weekend work and adjustments to normal working hours as required to conduct inspections.
Work is performed under limited supervision requiring independent judgment, discretion, and initiative. The supervisor sets the overall objectives and resources available. The incumbent and supervisor work together to develop the deadlines, projects, and work to be completed. The incumbent is responsible for the work: he/she plans and carries out the assignment, resolves most conflicts that arise, coordinates work with others, and interprets policies on his/her own initiative in terms of established objectives. The incumbent keeps the supervisor informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications. Work is reviewed in terms of feasibility, compatibility with other work, and/or effectiveness of results.
| Examples of Work Performed:
- Perform all duties associated with an EHS II.
- Serve as a direct and principal source of technical assistance and guidance to assigned section staff.
- Organize section staff, occasionally assign work and conduct special projects.
- Maintain a professional relationship with other public agencies and private individuals engaged in business with the District.
- Analyze data and reports and make recommendations to the Section Supervisor concerning public notification, public health advisories and Health District policies, procedures and regulations.
- Provide instruction and training for section staff including quality, quantity and consistency of work.
- Keep section staff updated as to current regulations, practices and policies.
- Provide technical support and leadership to professional and technical staff; provide trouble shooting, technical report writing, record keeping and project analysis.
- Serve as the lead on program area disease, injury and or environmental threat investigations.
- Coordinate section workload and activities.
- Organize public information and education programs.
- Represent SHD on interagency committees, workgroups, and at public meetings.
- Attend meetings of relevant outside agencies and groups as needed and present testimony at public hearings and/or legal proceedings.
- Grant and contract preparation and reporting.
- Implement and evaluate Health District responsibilities outlined in program area grants and contracts.
- Interprets and applies District policies and guidelines.
- Provides oversight on quality improvement projects for the Section.
- Reviews staff work for accuracy, appropriateness, and timeliness.
- Provides feedback to staff regarding their fieldwork observations and assessments.
- Assists with training staff on use of new technology and inspection tools.
- Offers technical and troubleshooting assistance to staff on use of technology (EC/ECR/ECO) and other inspection tools.
- Ensures section staff is updated on current regulations, practices, and policies.
- Preparation of reports and other statistical data as requested.
- Maintains active field workload or other program responsibilities as determined by Section Supervisor.
- Performs extensive review, evaluation, and oversight of all program areas.
- Organizes, prepares agendas, and conducts staff meetings.
- Organizes general public information and educational programs relative to program areas.
- Performs other related duties as requested by EH supervisor or other EH management staff.