University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist III - Snohomish Health District
Closing Date: March 7, 2018
Posted: February 7, 2018
Under direction of assigned Environmental Health (EH) Section Supervisor (or other EH management staff), incumbent is an experienced environmental health specialist who performs a wide range of activities in the Environmental Health Division. Individuals assigned to this position are expected to apply a thorough understanding of food, water and waste-borne communicable diseases, potential public health risks associated with solid and hazardous waste and their means of transmission and control to work situations that are varied as well as routine.
The position will provide technical support and consultation to the assigned section staff. The Lead Sanitarian is expected to participate in program planning, development of policies, procedures and regulations, program implementation and evaluation as well as providing technical support to field staff and performing fieldwork as assigned. May require some weekend work and adjustments to normal working hours as required to conduct inspections.
Work is performed under limited supervision requiring independent judgment, discretion, and initiative. The supervisor sets the overall objectives and resources available. The incumbent and supervisor work together to develop the deadlines, projects, and work to be completed. The incumbent is responsible for the work: he/she plans and carries out the assignment, resolves most conflicts that arise, coordinates work with others, and interprets policies on his/her own initiative in terms of established objectives. The incumbent keeps the supervisor informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications. Work is reviewed in terms of feasibility, compatibility with other work, and/or effectiveness of results.
Education and Experience Required:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health or a related field.
- Experience: 2 years of experience working in an Environmental Health program.
Or: In place of the above requirement, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
Licenses, Certifications and Other:
- Valid Registered Sanitarian certification through the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association; maintaining status as a registered sanitarian is required as a condition of this classification.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the requirements of Snohomish Health District’s insurance carrier
- Background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.830