University of Washington School of Public Health
Assistant Director (Prevention Services) - Snohomish Health District
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: March 7, 2018
|NOTE: Position is open until filled with first review of applicants on March 20, 2018. Top applicants will be invited via email to the first round of interviews for Monday March 26, 2018.
Under direction of the Prevention Services (PS) Division Director, incumbent develops and oversees the administration of policies, procedures, budget and work products in support of the daily operations of the PS Division. Incumbent supervises and coordinates the work of supervisors and/or project leaders, anticipates and plans for future work programs, and determines nature and scope of projects. Incumbent works with internal interdisciplinary team(s) and with community groups, agencies, businesses, and regional partners to address public health issues. Incumbent is a member of the PS Leadership Team and the Health District Senior Leadership Team. Incumbent participates as a member of the Incident Command Team in the event of an emergency. Incumbent participates in the 24/7 communicable disease after-hours rotation. In the absence of the PS Division Director, the incumbent serves as acting Division Director.
The incumbent exhibits managerial courage and exceptional leadership as a responsible decision-maker through strategic agility, innovation, and effective results. The incumbent represents and articulates the interests and priorities of the division and public health at a variety of venues with a wide range of audiences. The incumbent provides a broad view and understanding of public health and demonstrates ability to build and maintain effective teams within the division as well as support for other internal and external partners. The incumbent formulates and communicates goals and policies to subordinates. The incumbent routinely and consistently applies extensive knowledge of modern management techniques and concepts to situations involving administration, policy, and procedure development.
Work is performed under long-range managerial direction established by and with the Division Director. Incumbent has complete responsibility for their work, and work is reviewed by the Division Director for conformance to goals and objectives of the district and the division.
|Examples of Work Performed:|
Education and Experience Required:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in public health, health services management, nursing, health education, or a closely related field. Master’s degree from an accredited institution is preferred and may substitute for up to two years of the experience requirement.
- Experience: Five years progressively responsible work experience working in a public health or very similar agency, with at least four years in a management/supervisory capacity.
Or: In place of the above requirement, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience that would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
Licenses, Certifications and Other:
- Nurses must have a valid Washington State Registered Nurse license.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and a driving record that meets the requirements of Snohomish Health District’s insurance carrier.
- Background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.830.
Additional Information:Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories, principles, techniques, and practices of public health.
- Knowledge of principles and best practices in both individual and population-based public health.
- Knowledge of finance and budgeting.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of management, including personnel, planning, program analysis, and evaluation.