University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Scientist II - King County Department of Natural Resources & Parks
Closing Date: April 22, 2018
Posted: April 6, 2018
The Solid Waste Division of King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks is looking for an Environmental Scientist II to join the Field Engineering Group within the Facility Engineering and Science Unit. This position will perform environmental compliance sample collection and monitoring duties associated with Closed Landfills, Cedar Hills Regional Landfill (CHRLF), Transfer Facilities and ancillary Operations’ Support facilities.
The position will advance the Division’s ability to evaluate whether operational activities are impacting the surrounding human health and environment including: supporting engineering, project management and operational efforts at multiple facilities in an integration capacity. The role will support multiple environmental programs which may include solid waste operation, surface water, industrial wastewater, air quality, and environmental conservation programs. This position will be integral in implementing and maintaining electronic data collection using Earthsoft programs and implementing innovative environmental monitoring methodologies to streamline compliance and operational assessments.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biology, chemistry, geology or closely related field and experience in environmental compliance monitoring which should include completing complex environmental field assessments or any combination of education and experience that clearly demonstrates the skills and knowledge to perform the scope of job duties of this position.
- Experience in performing environmental field assessments of basic solid waste engineering elements including field data collection, and technical document development.
- Experience assessing the physical conditions of groundwater monitoring wells, surface water monitoring stations, wastewater monitoring structures to determine maintenance needs, maintain a monitoring network maintenance program and implement maintenance tasks to ensure integrity of environmental monitoring program.
- Experience interpreting water quality data from field measurements or analytical lab results to evaluate operational and regulatory requirements are being met.
- Experience managing and maintaining equipment and supplies including maintaining an inventory of the equipment and supplies needed.
- Experience modifying or developing and documenting environmental sampling procedures and cross-training team members.
- Intermediate to expert working knowledge using MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, and basic working knowledge using environmental monitoring equipment software and environmental database management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively across department lines and in in multi-disciplinary collaborative team settings exemplifying effective communications management both in oral and writing formats with diverse groups of professionals, coworkers, and the general public.
- Skills and experience performing quality assurance and control assessment of field monitoring procedures, and modifying or developing and documenting environmental sampling protocols and cross-training team members.
- Documented experience assisting in negotiating, applying for and obtaining various local, state, and federal permits required for implementation of facility operations and projects.
- Ability to work effectively in a rapidly evolving work environment that requires multi-tasking, planning and organizing work on a daily basis, responding to changing field conditions, priorities and tight deadlines, and grasping and responding to complex issues quickly.
- Ability to take initiative and function independently on assigned projects, while keeping team members, senior level team members and stakeholders apprised of key issues and developments.
- Ability to safely drive to monitoring locations in a one-ton vehicle on and off road, and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate in a pleasant, non-judgmental, respectful, culturally sensitive manner under varying levels of stress.