University of Washington School of Public Health
Graduate Program Manager - UW Department of Biology
Closing Date: June 11, 2018
Posted: May 11, 2018
ur Biology Department has an outstanding opportunity for a Graduate Program Manager. This individual will, under general direction of the faculty chair of the graduate program (GPC) and the department administrator, manage and coordinate the day-to-day operation of the Department of Biology Graduate Program. This includes advising ~90 current graduate students on all aspects of their educational progress toward a degree, serving as the main point of contact for prospective students, and coordinating all aspects of recruitment for the program. This position works closely with students, faculty, and the Graduate School to ensure student have the resources to succeed during their time with the department.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Provide program support to all current Biology graduate students
• Advise current students regarding Biology program content and degree requirements, decision-making, and alternative courses of action.
• Keep informed on and interpret departmental and UW academic/financial aid/scholarship/tuition policies, procedures, and deadlines and communicate this information to students, faculty and others.
• Advise students on the process of choosing research advisors, forming supervisory committees, scheduling and announcing exams, and other degree requirements, ensuring that University deadlines are met and required paperwork is completed.
• Apprise students of their academic performance and monitor progress toward their degree. Notify students and faculty advisors of upcoming deadlines and monitor completion of requirements.
• Meet with the GPPC and appropriate faculty to discuss individual student progress and design interventions as necessary.
• Attend faculty meetings dealing with student progress, advise GPC and faculty on University and graduate school requirements.
• Support graduate curriculum, including coordinating quarterly time schedule, and assisting with course development and delivery as appropriate.
Participate in annual and quarterly graduate student appointments and reappointments
• Work with faculty, GPC and director of instructional services to determine TA or RA appointments
• Prepare quarterly appointment letters for the graduate students.
• Update Workday each quarter with graduate student payroll
• Maintain graduate student appointment files, personnel files, and database.
• Coordinate the TA evaluations, monitoring evaluations for concerns and developing action plans with the GPC and director of instructional services as necessary.
• Be familiar with UAW/UW contract to ensure compliance and advise faculty and staff on ASE employment questions.
• Ensure compliance with Biology, Graduate School, UWHR, and bargaining unit requirements.
Provide guidance to all prospective students
• Serve as the primary contact for all questions pertaining to graduate studies in Biology at the University.
• Attend local and national recruitment and diversity fairs
• Counsel prospective students on the Biology PhD program and admissions process.
• Update and maintain admissions and other relevant information on the Biology web site and online application.
• Draft content and develop publications for prospective students.
Support graduate student recruiting and admissions efforts
• Oversee admissions process via online admissions systems transmitting data to GPC, graduate committee and faculty at meetings and individually as needed.
• Apply for university scholarship support for students (e.g., Top Scholar, Go-MAP).
• Work with graduate committee to manage the administrative details of recruiting, selecting, inviting, and hosting approximately 40 prospective graduate students for interviews annually, including arranging lodging, transportation, and meal arrangements for all visitors, reserving necessary campus facilities and services for events, making arrangements for off-campus events, creating faculty and student visit and interview schedules, and tracking all related expenses.
• Inform all applicants of admission decisions; write offer letters to admitted students; track offers and funding commitments and student acceptances/rejections.
• Track and provide admissions statistics when requested; report on selection and admissions at appropriate faculty meetings.
Manage student data and track academic progress
• Using MyGrad Program and departmental databases as necessary maintain and update student data and track student progress.
• Monitor for compliance with department and Graduate School policies and procedures affecting student progress toward a degree.
• Participate significantly in the design and development of a new comprehensive graduate student database, then enter data and maintain.
• Recommend and/or implement changes and improvements to the graduate program
• Provide data on graduate program as requested, such as for training grant renewal requests, degree options, etc.
• Maintain student and employment files in conjunction with UW guidelines.
Provide administrative support to the Graduate & Postdoctoral Program Committee
• Attend and participate in meetings, providing insight into UW policies, trends, and other aspects relating to the student experience.
• Work closely with the GPC to manage initiatives and goals developed in the committee, such as drafting policies, coordinating events, making website changes, etc.
Plan and organize new graduate student orientation and other annual events
• Coordinate annual new grad orientation program, including presenting departmental guidelines and policies, prepare materials for each student to orient them to the program, including steps to degree completion, campus services, and other relevant information, and arrange for other required trainings (lab safety, TA, UAW, etc.).
• Issue key and payroll paperwork.
• Take appropriate action in various matters pertaining to registration, insurance, payroll, visas, residency, and other areas.
• Update and maintain online orientation and resource materials in Canvas.
• Monitor budgets, purchase supplies, order catering, and provide other support for events such as new student orientation, graduate student symposium, annual awards dinner, etc.
Participate in Diversity Initiatives
• Attend the Biomedical Minority Recruitment Task Force targeting middle school, high school students and undergraduate minority students throughout the country and Washington State.
• Serve on the Biology Diversity and Equity Committee
• Attend SACNAS, ABRCMS conferences
• Support diversity and equity initiatives within the department and University as it relates to the graduate and postdoc program and graduate student recruitment.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of progressively responsible related work experience.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, and Google G-Suite
• The drive to provide excellent customer service for both internal and external constituents
• The ability to interact successfully with students, staff, and faculty, including non-native English speakers, using excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent time-management and organizational skills
• The ability to independently manage work priorities across multiple projects, meeting multiple timelines.
• The ability to perform tasks with precision and accuracy.
• The ability to handle sensitive situations with diplomacy and confidentiality.
• Self-motivation and the ability to use available resources to solve problems and answer questions with minimal supervision.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Master’s degree in education or related field.
• Experience with university graduate programs
• Understanding of the PhD student lifecycle
• Familiarity and experience with UW admissions, registration, and electronic student and human resource systems such as MyGrad Program, MyFinancial Desktop and Workday.
• A degree and/or prior work experience in biology or a related field.
How to Apply: