University of Washington School of Public Health
Program Specialist - Assessment - Whatcom County
Closing Date: May 29, 2018
Posted: May 11, 2018
The Whatcom County Health Department is seeking a public health professional to fill the position of Assessment Specialist. This position routinely collects, analyzes and interprets quantitative and qualitative data to support the agency’s programs, performance management and strategic planning. The assessment position also provides data support to community initiatives that are either led or convened by the agency.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and implementing community health assessments both at a county-wide level and on specific health issues.
- Performing statistical analysis of health data from various sources.
- Coordinating the Health Department’s participation in quantitative and qualitative data collection activities.
- Assisting staff and community partners in understanding and using data.
- Designing and preparing data presentations and reports for various audiences.
- Interpreting surveillance and disease reports for the identification of priority health issues.
- Responding to health data requests from department staff, the public, community partners, and policymakers.
Bachelor’s degree in in public health, epidemiology, or a closely related field, including coursework in epidemiology or assessment;
4 years of professional work experience in assessment.
Requires knowledge of: epidemiological principles and practices, disease surveillance, community health assessment methodology, advanced statistical and bio-statistical analysis, informatics, and data analysis and visualization.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.