University of Washington School of Public Health
Systems Science & Environmental Epidemiology Postdoctoral Research Associate - Boston University School of Public Health
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: May 16, 2018
The Department of Environmental Health at the Boston University School of Public Health has a long history and national reputation of interdisciplinary research to address the health effects of environmental exposures. A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available to join the team of a systems science and environmental epidemiology project titled the Asthma Simulation Tool for Housing and Medication Adherence (ASTHMA). The project is funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIH/NIEHS).
About ASTHMA. Systems science tools can help us understand and prioritize risk factors and intervention strategies to reduce asthma exacerbations, and we previously developed a systems science model of the effect of residential environmental exposures on pediatric asthma exacerbations in low-income multi-family housing in Boston. In this ASTHMA project we are expanding the existing model by: 1) estimating indoor pollutants across housing types representative of US housing stock, and 2) exploring the cross-links between asthma exacerbations and housing, indoor air quality, individual stressors (e.g. material hardship, stress), neighborhood stressors (e.g. crime, segregation, economic deprivation), and medication adherence. We will use information from an electronic medical record (EHR) repository at Boston Medical Center, geographical information systems (GIS), building simulation, and systems science tools to construct the ASTHMA model. The model will then be used to test housing, healthcare, policy, and social interventions with input from our multidisciplinary advisory board which includes experts in green & public housing, and material hardship and housing policy.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will participate in the following activities:
- Support building the EHR data repository
- Link the EHR data repository with external housing and neighborhood datasets using GIS
- Conduct statistical analyses of the relationship between asthma outcomes and environmental exposures, and individual and neighborhood stressors
- Update the systems science ASTHMA model using systems science software
- Coordinate research team and advisory board stakeholders
- Prepare manuscripts and present at conferences
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will participate in regular team meetings and join a team comprised of faculty, graduate students and research assistants. The associate will also regularly engage with collaborators at BUSPH and BMC, National Institute of Standards and Technology, and advisory board members who work in green building, public housing, and policy fields. Postdoctoral position will be supervised by Prof. Patricia Fabian. This is structured as a two year position.
- PhD/doctorate in complex systems science, environmental health, epidemiology, or related field.
- GIS experience with spatial data processing in ArcGIS, Q-GIS or R.
- Demonstrable expertise in quantitative statistical research using SAS and/or R.
- Strong publication record.
- Experience with large data management and processing (e.g. electronic health records).
- Experience with systems science software a plus, but not a requirement
To Apply: Send CV and a letter describing your interests to: Patricia Fabian, ScD, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "ASTHMA Postdoctoral Associate" in subject line. Start date: Fall 2018/Spring 2019