University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist I or II - Whatcom County Health Department
Closing Date: June 14, 2018
Posted: June 1, 2018
Whatcom County is hiring an Environmental Health Specialist I or II (DOQ) with an initial assignment in the On-site Sewage program.
- Performs complex environmental health work in the office and field, conducting inspections, complaint investigations, and collecting samples.
- Answers questions pertaining to departmental functions and technical matters and provides technical assistance and information as authorized.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities with minimal supervision and within scope of certification and established guidelines.
- Provides necessary information for the progress and completion of projects. Complies with legal standards and requirements and works under limited supervision.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Health from a college or university curriculum approved by the National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council OR a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university and having completed a course of study in the basic sciences, including a minimum of 45 quarter hours (30 semester hours) in physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, microbiology, epidemiology, biostatistics, and college-level algebra or higher mathematics.
- Environmental Health Specialist II also requires 2 years of work experience within the last 5 years environmental health, AND registration as a Sanitarian (RS) or Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) with the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association
- Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment;
- Must be eligible to cross between the United States and Canada;
- Background check must meet County criteria