University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist I/II - Snohomish Health District
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: June 8, 2018
NOTE: This position will be in the Food Safety Program. This position is open until filled, with first review date of Monday June 25.
Please submit your application via https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/snohd
Under the direction of an Environmental Health Supervisor, or designee, will conduct routine inspections in one or more division-wide environmental health programs such as food, sewage, water quality, solid waste/chemical and physical hazards, or water recreations facilities. Additionally, the individual will provide education, technical assistance and regulatory information to members of the public.
Individuals assigned to this position are expected to apply a thorough understanding of water and waste-borne communicable diseases, potential public health risks associated with solid and hazardous waste and their means of transmission and control to work situations that are varied as well as routine. Incumbent reports to the Safe Environments and/or Land Use Section Supervisor who reviews work for professional competency and adherence to the goals and objectives of the program.
Education and Experience Required:
- Education: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution involving major study in environmental health, sanitary science, microbiology or public health or other closely related science.
- Experience: Incumbent will be considered an Environmental Health Specialist 1 without work experience (traineeships or other experience associated with college courses will not be considered work experience). Incumbent will be considered an Environmental Health Specialist 2 with a minimum of 2 years in a local public health department, if such employment has been within the past 5 years, and if the duties performed were related to the specific environmental health duties to which the incumbent is assigned. Additionally, appointment as an Environmental Health Specialist 2 requires current registration as a Sanitarian (RS) with either the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association.
Or: In place of the above requirement, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
Licenses, Certifications and Other:
- Fluency in a foreign language, preferred
- Requires eligibility for registration as a Sanitarian with either the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the requirements of Snohomish Health District’s insurance carrier
- Background Check pursuant to RCW 43.43.830