University of Washington School of Public Health
Senior Director of Communications and Outreach - Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: August 9, 2018
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas, including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Cost Effectiveness; Local Burden of Disease; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Director of Communications and Outreach.
The main focus of this position will be formulating and spearheading the delivery of IHME’s data and research into the hands of the relevant international decision makers. This involves translating IHME estimates into digestible and policy-relevant insights, and creating a diverse set of storytelling and campaign initiatives that make IHME’s data accessible and that enhance the visibility and uptake of IHME’s work with key partners, our collaborator network, and major population health stakeholders. They will also be charged with giving political and policy guidance to IHME leadership. The Senior Director leads a team responsible for data visualizations, marketing, publications, and media outreach. This individual will provide leadership over our media relationships, website, and will ensure that our online data visualizations and insights are designed in a way that is cutting-edge, accessible, and engaging. They will also support IHME’s high volume of scientific publications, facilitating and nurturing relationships with key academic journals.
The position requires someone who is intellectually agile, vibrant, and who can act as an effective ambassador of IHME across multiple cultural and professional audiences. The Senior Director of Communications and Outreach will lead a high-performing team in an ambitious, entrepreneurial, and high-energy workplace. This position will be front and center in supporting IHME in achieving its goals, by establishing and sustaining productive partnerships, and by ensuring that IHME’s outputs are infused in conversations and decisions between global leaders in health. This will require political savvy, strong intuition, and the ability to translate IHME’s outputs into tangible stories and storylines that resonate with the population health global community.
Leadership and Management
• Formulate and spearhead the delivery of IHME’s data and research into the hands of the relevant international decision makers, influencers or advocates targeting these decision makers
• Develop and implement strategic campaigns to encourage the use of IHME’s outputs by key external organizations, decision-makers and the collaborator network as part of their own decision-making efforts
• Ensure that IHME’s online presence is cutting-edge and accessible, both through the data visualizations and also through the website
• Support IHME’s high volume of scientific publications, facilitating and nurturing relationships with key academic journals
• Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team of IHME to set organizational policies, ensure organizational health, and sustain a vibrant, ambitious, and entrepreneurial community
• Diplomatically form effective high-level relationships with key partner organizations such as donors, government ministries, and other research institutions
• Guide the Director’s Office in strategically positioning IHME as an influencer and resource within this growing network
• Maximize the use of key senior leaders’ time in engagement and relationship-building activities; give political guidance to the IHME leadership
• Track success of the team against a set of key performance indicators
• Manage team resources, including budget, in alignment with strategic goals
Brand Marketing & Content
• Lead an agile and dynamic team charged with media network cultivation and engagement, marketing, publications and outreach
• Create strategic communication and engagement plans that help IHME to reach multiple targeted audiences and apply innovative approaches to translating data into compelling visuals, stories and insights
• Develop brand marketing efforts, including cultivating a unique brand voice and content strategy that establishes IHME as a thought leader and partner
• Ensure high visibility and effective dissemination of key IHME products
• Position IHME as a leader in interactive visualization tools and data storytelling
• Frame and promote IHME’s work through a variety of mechanisms, including print, interactive visualizations, web, and social media
• Advise on crisis management and critical communications tools
• Understand and articulate to multiple audiences the major areas of research undertaken at IHME and their policy relevance
• Express persuasively the way in which IHME’s research and training feeds its mission, and how in turn that has a tangible impact in population health around the globe
• Become an apt emissary for IHME and its mission with high-level external actors from a variety of sectors
• Understand the design and high-level technical details of IHME’s visualization tools and website; articulate best practices related to user-centered design and data storytelling
• Act as an able ambassador and champion for IHME internally and externally, promoting collaboration and direct engagement aligned with IHME’s principles
• Formulate style guidelines and policies that ensure high-quality standards for all IHME engagement, marketing, publications, media outreach, and internal communications activities
• Provide training in critical communications
• Create and sustain an ambitious, driven, and high-performing work environment on the team.
• Set goals and provide both supervision and mentorship to staff
• Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position