University of Washington School of Public Health
Knowledge Management and Communications Fellow - Jacaranda Health
Closing Date: unknown
Posted: August 12, 2018
Jacaranda Health aims to change the way maternal healthcare is provided in East Africa. We are building better systems and innovations to provide high-quality, patient-centered maternity care, piloting them in our own private hospital, and then working with government to replicate our innovations at scale in the public sector. We have built a world-class team, developed critical partnerships and support within Kenya, and sparked the interest of the global maternal health community. We have won global and local recognition for our business model, including from the Center for Health Market Innovations, Gates Foundation, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our facilities have been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
Position title: Knowledge Management and Communications Fellow
Reports to: Chief Innovation Officer
Location: Nairobi (potentially open to some remote work from the US)
Work Hours per week: full time
Length of Assignment: 6-12 months (negotiable)
Responsibilities and Objectives
Jacaranda has a compelling story of success, our operations team in Kenya has generated remarkable innovations in maternal health. The Knowledge Management and Communications Fellow will help Jacaranda synthesize what we are learning and work with other players in the global health landscape to share and expand our influence. We seek someone who is a consummate consultant and communicator, who wants to apply those talents to shape global health. Responsibilities will include:
- Help us bring our social media and web presence to a higher level of excellence. Work with design consultants and other team members in Kenya to develop content that inspires replication:
- Launch new website
- Build blogs and assist with white paper to launch online presence
- Help build Jacaranda’s knowledge management strategy – what we capture and how we share it – to position the organization as a leader in the maternal health community. Work closely with leadership and front-line staff to synthesize maternal health innovations and lessons in order to share insights, both internally and externally. This includes understanding our social impact, clinical excellence, business innovations.
- Potentially assist with buildout of social media platform and recruit mothers to test some of our m-health innovations, including moderated chat groups and chatbots for healthy behavior change for pregnant and postpartum mothers.
- Potentially work with our team in Kenya to improve messaging and storytelling within the organization – and help them capture and communicate stories from the field.
There is also the opportunity to get involved in programmatic and research activities with our multicultural team -- let us know if that’s of interest.
- Passionate about improving health of moms and babies
- Firm understanding and experience with public health topics
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and initiative, entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity
- Flexible and easy-going enough to work in a fluid, cross-cultural startup environment in Nairobi
- Proven analytical ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, and inspire confidence in a wide variety of audiences
- Passion for storytelling, and strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and partnership-building skills evidenced by a track record of effective collaboration
- Demonstrated experience with communications and media for public audiences (blogging, social media, journalism, multimedia content generation)
- Stipend for travel and living expenses in Nairobi
- First-hand experience building a health venture and working with global health programmatic and research teams
- Learn about maternity experience and clinical challenges faced by low-income mothers in peri-urban areas
- Significant responsibility and independence