University of Washington School of Public Health
Associate Industrial Hygienist - Bureau Veritas
Closing Date: October 14, 2018
Posted: September 14, 2018
Bureau Veritas Chicago Regional Operations seeks an Associate Industrial Hygienist with either a science or mechanical background desiring a profession to protect workers from workplace environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well-being. The selected candidate will support our industrial hygiene team in collecting samples to measure worker exposure to chemicals, biological hazards, and noise. This is a growth opportunity to work with a dedicated team of professionals committed to worker health and safety. Training, coaching, and mentoring in the essential functions of the position will be provided. Candidates must have a positive attitude, be detail oriented, enjoy working in and learning about various industries, thrive in a professional team environment, and possess good communication skills, both oral and written.
This position will be responsible for evaluating exposures to workers for a wide variety of clients.
- Calibrates field equipment and documents calibration information.
- Accurately documents field observations and chain of custody forms.
- Conducts personal and area sampling for chemical and physical agents.
- Appropriately handles samples submitted to the laboratory for analysis.
- Communicates unusual circumstances of sampling results with the project manager.
- Observes and documents the exposure controls utilized during the assessment.
- Observes and documents the specific personal protective equipment and clothing used during the assessment.
- Works with the Project Manager to interpret the sample results and develop the draft report.
- Good technical writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite) to draft reports that are grammatically correct, easy to read, technically competent, and are client ready upon submittal for senior review.
- Short duration travel is required.
- May perform indoor environmental quality investigations in non-industrial environments, including asbestos, moisture and mold surveys, asbestos and mold remediation oversight, and general ventilation evaluations.
- Education: Minimum: high school diploma. Preferred: BS, BA or AD. .
- Experience: 1- 3 years of relevant work experience or prior training/certification
- Anticipated local and regional travel up to 60%.
Desired Additional Skills:
- Existing regulatory certifications (e.g. asbestos, lead, mold).
- Some experience conducting asbestos, lead based paint, mold, and indoor air quality investigations.
If you are interested, please contact Chris Sparks, MS, CIH with Bureau Veritas via email at
Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 281-901-2874.