University of Washington School of Public Health
Farm Services Program Manager - Sno-Valley Tilth
Closing Date: October 18, 2018
Posted: September 18, 2018
The Farm Services Program Manager works to identify, prioritize, and respond to the needs of SVT farmer members. By combining regular communication with farmer members with an understanding of current consumer trends, farming technology advancements, and policy and regulatory changes, the Farm Services Program Manager will select, implement and manage continuing technical and business support for farmer members. In addition, the Farm Services Program Manager will support the work of the Farmland Network as a service to members seeking access to land.
utreach to Farmer Members: via monthly gatherings (farm tours, educational potlucks, happy hours, celebrations) and an annual survey, the Farm Services Program Manager will stay apprised of areas where local farmers seek technical and business support and will work to bridge farming communities in SVT’s service area.
Refine and Expand SnoValley Tilth’s Farmer Membership Program: clarify and enhance member benefits and categories. Work with staff, volunteers, or contractors to maintain or create necessary tools to maintain an ongoing membership program (e.g. membership management database, purchase tangible items such as farmers market signage, discounts to SnoValley Tilth events, annual updates to the online and printed directory).
Coordinate the delivery of a suite of technical support services for farmers including:
- Monthly educational gatherings and farm tours.
- Seasonal workshops.
- One-on-one business consultation sessions.
- Farmer mentoring program.
- Connecting farmers with landowners looking to lease or sell their property to farmers.
- Bulk purchasing and infrastructure sharing opportunities.
Program delivery will include:
- Selecting and scheduling local, regional, and national speakers and consultants based on feedback from farmer members and knowledge of current issues and changes.
- Promote events via print and electronic outlets (SVT social media and website, SVT listserv, SVT newsletter, other organizations’ newsletters and social media) and when appropriate designing, printing, and distributing fliers or posters about scheduled events.
- Identifying and reserving appropriate venues for events.
- Coordinating bulk purchasing opportunities.
- Collaborating with the Landowner Outreach Program Manager to assure that farmland matching services are being provided.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An understanding of the support and service needs of sustainable farms. Familiarity with farming in the Snoqualmie and Snohomish valleys is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with community stakeholders, receive input, and respond appropriately.
- Experience coordinating workshops and meetings with outside speakers.
- Familiarity using social media and other electronic outlets to promote events.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- The ability to foster collaborations with other non-profits, government agencies, and businesses to deliver services.
- Experience managing an organizational budget.
- Experience supervising volunteers or staff.
- Passion for the mission of Sno-Valley Tilth.
- Ability to expand the membership base through successful marketing and program delivery.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Cultural sensitivity.
Employment Period and Salary: This is an hourly, year-round position. Work hours are flexible and expected to average 20 hours/week. Pay rate is $16-$20/hour. SnoValley Tilth offers 10 paid holidays per year as well as PTO.