University of Washington School of Public Health
Public Health Nurse - Snohomish Health District
Closing Date: October 28, 2018
Posted: September 28, 2018
NOTE: This position is open until filled, with a first review date of October 5, 2018.
This position is in a union represented bargaining unit and eligible for union membership. This position may work in either Everett or Lynnwood.
Under the direction of the Maternal and Child Health Supervisor, the incumbent will perform a variety of public health nursing activities related to parent child health to address health issues and disparities adversely impacting populations and individuals residing within Snohomish County. Activities include advocacy, assessment, policy development, partnerships, communication, education, and problem solving.
Incumbent will work collaboratively with various disciplines and agencies throughout the county to identify and then reduce or impact health disparities adversely impacting the parent child health population. The public health nurse serves as an expert on parent child health issues and applies a working knowledge of public health nursing practices and concepts of disease epidemiology, prevention and health promotion to situations involving individuals, families and targeted populations. The public health nurse demonstrates cultural competency in the ability to engage with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures and socioeconomic circumstances to influence effective change at multi-levels of prevention.
Education and Experience Required:
- Education: A Registered Nurse with a Bachelor Degree in Nursing from an accredited school of nursing.
- Experience: One year of recent, relevant experience in maternal and child health nursing or public/community health nursing.
Or: In place of the above requirement, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
Licenses, Certifications and Other:
- A valid Washington State Registered Nurse license or ability to obtain one by date of hire.
- A valid CPR/First Aid Certification for Healthcare Providers or ability to obtain one by date of hire.
- Two or more years of experience with a public health agency, Preferred
- Fluency in a foreign language/culture, preferred.
- Knowledge of local community resources for women in their perinatal period as well as their infants, preferred.
- Knowledge in Adverse Childhood Experiences and Trauma-Informed Practice, preferred.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the requirements of Snohomish Health District’s insurance carrier