University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist - Federal Occupational Health (FOH)
Closing Date: October 12, 2018
Posted: October 3, 2018
Federal Occupational Health (FOH) resides within the Program Support Center (PSC). FOH Environmental Health and Safety Services assist federal agencies with their safety and occupational health programs to determine their effectiveness and offer solutions to reduce job related injuries and illnesses. This includes but is not limited to providing indoor air quality assessments, firing range inspections, job hazard analysis, ergonomic assessments, occupational safety and health training programs, emergency preparedness and response services.
This position is a high intensity position that offers many opportunities for growth and development of junior officers. The position requires up to 50 percent travel around the continental United States conducting industrial hygiene and safety assessments as well as report writing and maintaining strong relationships with customer agencies.
- Conduct industrial hygiene and safety site assessments for customer agencies including indoor air quality assessments, noise exposure assessments, food service inspections, asbestos and lead based paint inspections, water quality assessments, etc… and prepare concise report of findings with recommendations.
- Establish and maintain internal and external customer relations.
- Solicit work and grow book-of-business through collaboration with customer agencies.
- Support contracting officers and maintain federal acquisition certification as a contracting officer representative.
- Manage projects from cradle to grave.
- Interact with each agency customer to assist them to identify their unique project requirements.
- Ensure each customer receives a detailed cost estimate for the project listing purpose, scope, steps to be completed, timeline, deliverables, and estimated costs.
- Obtain routine contractor updates on project progress in relation to timeline.
- Provide customer with routine project progress updates, preferably in-person.
- Work with contracting officer and contracting officer representatives to review monthly contractor invoices to ensure they do not exceed allotted amounts.
- Perform quality check to ensure all Project costs are captured (invoices, civil servant employee timesheets, commissioned corps employee timesheets, equipment rentals, supplies, lab fees, credit card payments, shipping, travel, miscellaneous charges, etc.).
- Current Commissioned Corps Applicant or Active Duty Officer in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service in good standing
- Strong written and oral communications skills: ability to gather and convey information prepare reports, correspondence, and other written materials
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize and multitask short turnaround projects
- Demonstrate ability to assimilate into a unique and highly productive team
- Demonstrate ability to plan and direct the completion of complex projects and assignments
- Demonstrate strong customer service acumen
- Proficient with Microsoft applications
Interested applicants should submit:
- Detailed Cover Letter not exceeding one page (12 point font) explaining your interest and how you meet the qualifications.
- Contact information of 3 references that can attest to your professionalism, dedication, officership, and communication skills.
Application documentation and questions should be sent to LCDR William Bird via e-mail at email@example.com with EHS Potion (Dallas) in Subject Line by COB October 12, 2018.