University of Washington School of Public Health
Occupational Health Nurse - UW Environmental Health & Safety
Closing Date: October 23, 2018
Posted: October 11, 2018
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities and an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for four consecutive years.
The Environmental Health and Safety Department (EH&S) works in partnership with the University’s organizational units to meet occupational and environmental safety standards to provide a healthy and safe place of employment, and to protect our environment. This position will directly contribute to and be accountable for creating and sustaining a culture of service, accountability, and excellence within the Department. Additionally, this position will help to adopt strategic planning initiatives and support data gathering for metrics and performance monitoring to ensure organizational efficiencies and desired outcomes are met. This position will adopt and align work processes and practices to support the values of the EH&S department including: engagement, collaboration, customer service, accountability, innovation, effectiveness and efficiency.
EH&S has an outstanding opportunity for a 100% Full-time Occupational Health Nurse.
The OHN will develop and implement preventive occupational health services for personnel who work in a wide array of university employment settings. The nurse will collaborate with colleagues within EH&S and from other UW departments to: develop of medical management plans, establish clinical guidelines for UW personnel, and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and mandates. The nurse’s work will be supervised and directed by the EH&S manager of occupational health programs. They both work in consultation with the employee health center’s medical director and nurse practitioner.
• Licensed as a registered nurse in the state of Washington
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing
• Three years of experience as a professional nurse
• Demonstrated knowledge of occupational nursing, case management, and immunization practices
• Demonstrated organizational skills in a fast-paced setting
• Ability to work accurately and attend to details while multi-tasking
• Demonstrated ability to function effectively in team activities
• Demonstrated effective communication orally and in writing
• Demonstrated customer service and interpersonal skills
• Experience with electronic medical records
• Basic computer skills, including the Microsoft Office Suite