University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist I/II (Food Safety) - Snohomish Health District
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: October 25, 2018
To submit your resume and application please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/snohd
NOTE: This position is open until filled, with first review date of 11/16/2018. This position is in a union represented bargaining unit and eligible for union membership.
Under the direction of an Environmental Health Supervisor, or designee, will conduct routine inspections in the food safety program. Additionally, the individual will provide education, technical assistance and regulatory information to members of the public.
Individuals assigned to this position are expected to apply a thorough understanding of food-borne, water-borne and waste-borne communicable diseases, potential public health risks associated with solid and hazardous waste and their means of transmission and control to work situations that are varied as well as routine. May require some weekend work and adjustments to normal working hours as required to conduct inspections.
Education and Experience Required:
- Education: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution involving major study in environmental health, sanitary science, microbiology or public health or other closely related science.
- Experience: Incumbent will be considered an Environmental Health Specialist 1 without work experience (traineeships or other experience associated with college courses will not be considered work experience). Incumbent will be considered an Environmental Health Specialist 2 with a minimum of 2 years in a local public health department, if such employment has been within the past 5 years, and if the duties performed were related to the specific environmental health duties to which the incumbent is assigned. Additionally, appointment as an Environmental Health Specialist 2 requires current registration as a Sanitarian (RS) with either the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association.
Or: In place of the above requirement, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
Licenses, Certifications and Other:
- Fluency in a foreign language, preferred
- Requires eligibility for registration as a Sanitarian with either the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians or the National Environmental Health Association.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the requirements of Snohomish Health District’s insurance carrier
- Background Check pursuant to RCW 43.43.830