University of Washington School of Public Health
EHSS Intern - Carus
This position is open to undergraduates.
Closing Date: December 5, 2018
Posted: November 5, 2018
My name is Joe McNamara; I am the EHSS Manager for Carus Chemical in LaSalle, IL. We are seeking an EHS intern for the summer of 2019 and have posted the position on our website; see the link below. We will be looking to fill this position in the coming month or two; students can apply directly on our website.
The position would be paid and based at our LaSalle, IL plant lasting approximately 9-12 weeks. This would be a great opportunity for a current student to gain valuable experience!
The Safety Intern has accountabilities for assisting in the achievement of Carus Corporation annual safety goals. This position is responsible for help in directing, executing and supervising safety and health programs at Carus Corporation locations utilizing a behavioral based approach. Identifies deficiencies and recommends measures to reduce or eliminate industrial accidents and health hazards in compliance with OSHA and other relevant regulatory bodies.
1. Formulates general safety policies and measures to be followed by company or plant personnel and recommends priorities for improvement.
2. Trains employees or supervises the training process, to the established procedures and policies.
3. Consults with all departments on design and use of equipment, new products and processes, workplace ergonomics, and other safety programs.
4. Inspects or tours company facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventive measures where indicated.
5. Provides guidance to supervisors in the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidences for company use in hearings, litigation, or insurance investigations. Compiles and submits required OSHA accident reports.
6. Assures compliance with organization and government health and safety standards.
7. Monitors performance of safety and reports on trends and alerts management to potential problems.
8. Sub-chairs subcommittee on health and employee safety in Responsible Care program. Works with all other safety committees to insure objectives are met.
9. Stays abreast of all new safety-related regulations and proactively recommends and implements policies/procedures to remain in compliance.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
In progress of attaining a Bachelors Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or similar field.
Must have sufficient mobility to access all areas of the plant site. Exposed to noise, dust, heat, steam, and hazardous materials requiring use of safety equipment. Working in conditions outside ranging from extreme heat to cold exposure 5-10% of the time. Required to use various types of Personal Protective Equipment (P.P.E.) to handle hazardous materials, including a rubberized suit, or respiratory apparatus.
Office: +1 815 224- 6644 | Mobile: +1 815 228-2522
Carus Corporation – LaSalle Plant
1500 8th Street | LaSalle, Illinois, USA 61301