University of Washington School of Public Health
Licensing and Permit Specialist - Washington State Department of Health
Closing Date: February 3, 2019
Posted: January 3, 2019
The Department of Health (DOH) works to protect and improve the health of people in Washington State. The mission of the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) is to improve the health of people in Washington State by reducing and preventing, where possible, human exposures to a variety of environmental hazards and disease pathogens associated with the disposal of wastewater, the food we eat, the schools our children attend, and the places we recreate and overnight.
The Health Services Consultant 1 position helps achieve this mission by providing operational and technical support to the inspection and licensing programs within OEHS. This position serves as a Licensing and Permit Specialist. Ensuring environmental health facility applications are complete and processed within the required timelines.
Serving as the licensing and permit specialist, the incumbent provides technical support to staff. This position also provides consultation and assistance to facility owners/operators and the general public inquiring about various environmental health facilities. This position is responsible for ensuring applications complete the full lifecycle of licensure and permitting.
This is a permanent full-time Health Services Consultant 1 (HSC 1) position.
Option 1: Two (2) or more years of experience processing, analyzing and interpreting documents, laws, and regulations for license qualification and issuance; and interviewing and researching/review duties involving public contact.
Option 2: Completion of two (2) or more years of college or business school with major study in finance, business or public administration, economics, law, accounting, or closely allied field (60 semester or 90 quarter hours).
Three (3) or more years of progressively responsible experience providing broad spectrum of office administrative and/or secretarial support, including:
- One (1) or more years of experience compiling, formatting, editing and proofreading complex documents intended for external and internal distribution.
- One (1) or more years of experience effectively using independent judgment to resolve complex issues and problems, and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- One (1) or more years of experience working with files and record management systems.
- One (1) or more years of experience working with multifaceted software applications with a focus in data entry.
- One (1) or more years of experience working with customers both in person and over the phone.
Three (3) or more years of experience working successfully within a team that shares work responsibilities and helps each other to achieve goals and deliverables; including experience in the following:
- Promoting cooperation within the team and establishing and maintaining effective relationships with co-workers and customers.
- Maintaining an open and approachable manner.
- Treating others fairly and respectfully.
- Demonstrating a balance between building rapport and completing assigned tasks.
Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Effectively communicating orally and in writing with diverse audiences.
- Intermediate level experience using MS Word to create, format and edit tables, columns and charts; import data and sort table data; insert and format sections and create headers/footers.
- Intermediate level experience using MS Excel to create and manipulate large or complex spreadsheets, use complex mathematical formulas to calculate data and link worksheets; import data from other sources, filter lists and create/format charts and graphs.
- Experience using MS Outlook to compose, send and respond to email. and to coordinate schedules and schedule meetings.