University of Washington School of Public Health
Geriatric Surgical Researcher - Westchester Medical Center Health Network
Closing Date: February 8, 2019
Posted: January 8, 2019
The primary responsibilities of the geriatric surgical researcher will be to perform and lead the research efforts in our dedicated program on emergency surgery and trauma in the geriatric population. We seek an individual who will help guide the Westchester Medical Center Department of Surgery (WMC DoS) into becoming the leading research institution addressing the relationship between elder status and surgical outcomes. You may be an expert in gerontology with a strong interest in clinical research (including surgical outcomes), an expert in clinical research with a strong interest in aging or ideally, an expert in both areas. You will design, implement, complete, analyze and prepare manuscripts on studies related to emergency surgery and trauma in patients in the geriatric population. You will have a faculty appointment at New York Medical College commensurate with your CV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies research gaps regarding the association between advanced age and surgical outcomes; proposes specific research projects.
- Partners with researchers from other departments, and works on multidisciplinary research opportunities with local, state and federal agencies to study geriatric surgical outcomes.
- Guides research staff in data collection, project management and manuscript preparation.
- Conducts statistical analyses.
- Obtains research funding to expand the program.
- PhD, DrPH, ScD or DrPhil in gerontology, epidemiology, health services research or clinical/translational research or related disciplines.
- Experience and expertise in these areas: aging, research design & methods, statistics, preparing funding requests and publishing journal articles.
- Experience with statistical software packages.
- Proficiency in regression modeling (including logistic, linear, Poisson, and Cox models); techniques for repeated measures, analysis of variance, hierarchical/mixed models, time series analysis, receiver operating curve analysis and meta-analysis.
- Real world healthcare, electronic medical records, and/or biomedical informatics data knowledge helpful.
David J. Samson, MS
Associate Director, Department of Surgery Clinical Research Unit
Westchester Medical Center, Taylor Pavilion Room D354c
100 Woods Road
Valhalla, NY 10603
Apply (enter geriatric surgical researcher into keyword box):