University of Washington School of Public Health
What is an interview?
An interview is a chance for you and the interviewer to assess how well you might fit with the organization and the position.
How should I prepare for an interview?
Preparation is the key to a good interview — you need to do your research. Before showing up for the interview, make sure to be familiar with the company or organization. Go beyond just poking around a website- find out about the organization’s mission, read annual reports and brochures, search for media articles, and learn about the community you will be working in.
Job interview tips:
- Practice makes perfect — prepare for your interview by practicing answering questions.
- Never show up late for an interview.
- Dress appropriately for the workplace and position you are seeking.
- Come prepared. Bring extra copies of your resume, a list of references, a pen, paper, and any forms you are required to fill out (such as an application).
- Be honest.
- Always follow-up the interview with a thank you note.
What will I be asked at the interview?
Interviewers may ask several types of questions to get an idea about your strengths and fit with the organization.