University of Washington School of Public Health

Experiential Learning

International Travel Guidelines

MD-MPH student Jeannie Nguyen in Uganda photo
Tyson Hegarty (left), a nurse and MPH student with a colleague in South Sudan

Overseas travel, study and/or work provide extraordinary opportunities for students to gain new perspectives on national and international public health issues while developing a deeper understanding of other cultures. Students planning to travel abroad need to educate themselves about the risks of travel and prepare for potential adverse events. Appropriate measures include visiting the Hall Health Travel Clinic well before departure, arranging for Insurance and Medical Evacuation Coverage, and Registering Your Travel.

Hall Health Travel Clinic

University of Washington Hall Health Travel Clinic offers pre-travel counseling, immunizations, and health advice for adults and children who are planning to travel out of the U.S. or Canada. Pre-travel consultations are available by appointment and must occur at least 4 weeks before departure.

Additional clinic locations are listed on the UW Medicine page.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention Traveler's Health information for specific destinations and what to know before you depart.

Insurance and Medical Evacuation Coverage

  • A comprehensive list of insurance for UW staff and faculty can be found through Global Operations Support.
  • For UW students traveling abroad on official UW programs, please see information on Study Abroad Insurance.
  • For international visitors to the UW, visit the International Students and Scholars "Other Insurance" page.

Registering Your Travel

With The University
For students traveling with UW programs, contact UW Study Abroad for the University of Washington travel registry. For individual students, staff, and faculty traveling abroad on UW official business, contact the International Travel and Security Manager, Daniel Brencic,

With the US State Department
For US Citizens, register your travel with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. When you sign up, you will automatically receive the most current information we compile about the country where you will be traveling or living.  You will also receive updates, including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts (where appropriate).

For non-US Citizens travelling abroad, please contact your embassy for travel registration and documentation for international travel.

Other Resources

Passports, Documents and Visa Information
U.S. Department of State, Consular Services
Passports, visas and consulate information for U.S. citizens and citizens of foreign countries. Also includes information about international law and policy. To find out more information about traveling safely abroad visit the U.S. State Department Students Abroad page.

OANDA, FXConverter (Foreign Exchange Currency Converter) is a multi-lingual currency converter with up to date exchange rates provided from leading market data contributors and is filtered for validity. Get exchange rates for 164 currencies.