University of Washington School of Public Health
Graduation Celebration 2016
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Ceremony at Alaska Airlines Arena
4:30 pm - Reception at Don James Center
Open to the public. No tickets required.
Come join the UW School of Public Health as we celebrate the achievements of our graduating Class of 2016! We will honor undergraduate and graduate students receiving degrees at the Schoolwide ceremony, followed by a reception with light refreshments. p>
2016 Graduation Speaker:
SPH is honored to welcome physician, epidemiologist, mentor, teacher, and humanitarian William Foege as its graduation speaker on June 8. Dr. Foege was instrumental in the successful campaign to eradicate smallpox from the world. He has played key roles in global health at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Carter Center in Atlanta founded by former President Jimmy Carter and Rosalynn Carter, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Task Force for Global Health, and Emory University. It has been estimated that his work has saved the lives of 122 million people and counting.
- When and where are this year's events?
- Is this the official University of Washington Commencement Ceremony?
- Who is invited? / Ticket info
- Who will be recognized as a graduate?
- Do I need to RSVP for this event?
- Am I supposed to wear a cap and gown?
- Will there be food and drink?
- How do I get there? Where do I park?
- Will accommodations be provided for persons with disabilities?
The 2016 SPH Graduation Celebration ceremony will take place at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion (Alaska Airlines Arena) on June 8, 2016, with a Schoolwide reception immediately following in the Don James Center (Husky Stadium).
2:00pm: Graduates (undergraduate and graduate students) arrive for check-in & staging
2:15pm: Alaska Airlines Arena doors open to the public
2:20pm: Dean, Associate and Assistant Deans, Department Chairs, Interdisciplinary and Undergraduate Program Directors, and Participating Faculty (processional) check-in & staging
3-4:30pm: Graduation Program
4:30pm: All-School Reception – Don James Center, next to Alaska Airlines Arena
No. UW Commencement is on Saturday, June 11th. Please view the UW Commencement website for more information.
All students, faculty, staff, family and friends of the graduates are encouraged to join us.
Tickets are not required for this event.
These events will honor all graduates and soon-to-be graduates (those who graduate Autumn 2015 through Summer 2016), from bachelor to doctoral degrees.
Yes! Student participant registration for SPH Graduation Celebration 2016 is available until May 22, 2016 via Catalyst link: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/sphosa/297300
Yes! For this year’s celebration, at the request of students, wearing a cap and gown is strongly recommended. Information on ordering gowns
Yes! Cake and coffee will be provided at the reception in the Don James Center (near Husky Stadium) following the ceremony.
Getting to the Hec Edmundson Pavilion:
Walking from Campus
Walk NE along Stevens Way, turn right on Snohomish Lane and go over the overpass.
Walking Map (pdf)
Regular Metro Transit service
Metro routes 43, 44, 48, 65, 75 and 271 will provide service to or near Husky Stadium via their regular routes. There may be schedule delays due to traffic.
From I-5 Going North or South:
1. Follow the signs to Seattle
2. Take Hwy 520 exit toward Bellevue-Kirkland.
3. Travel 1/4 mile and take the Montlake Boulevard exit.
4. At the end of the off ramp there is a stop light at Montlake Boulevard. Turn left.
5. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
6. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
7. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
8. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
From Highway 405 Going North or South:
1. From Hwy 405 take the Freeway 520 exit toward Seattle. This leads you onto the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge heading West.
2. Once across the bridge, take the Montlake Boulevard Exit. Turn Right.
3. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
4. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
5. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
6. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
Parking on Campus:
Students will need to pre-purchase parking permits ($14.00) from Office of Ceremonies for guests wishing to park on campus. Day-of-event parking permits will be $15.
Yes! Hec Edmundson Pavilion and Don James Center are wheelchair accessible and we will have a seating area for those needing special assistance or accommodations. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at sphOSA@uw.edu for further information. We are happy to help!
Return to top