University of Washington School of Public Health
Graduation Celebration 2015 FAQ
- When and where are this year's events?
- Is this the official University of Washington Commencement Ceremony?
- Who is invited? / Ticket info
- Who will be recognized as a graduate?
- Do I need to RSVP for this event?
- Am I supposed to wear a cap and gown?
- Will there be food and drink?
- How do I get there? Where do I park?
- Will accommodations be provided for persons with disabilities?
2015 Graduation Speaker:
Since May 2014, Dr. Sue Desmond-Hellmann has served as CEO of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, setting its priorities, monitoring results, and facilitating its key partnerships. Prior to the foundation, she was Chancellor of the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), where she continues to hold a tenured appointment as the Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock Distinguished Professor in the School of Medicine.
Before joining the UCSF faculty, Dr. Desmond-Hellman spent 14 years at Genentech, where she held a number of roles before becoming its President of Product Development. Her career has been shaped by her commitment to medicine, public health, and education.
TBD-Coming soon with photography details.
The 2015 SPH Graduation Celebration will take place at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion (Alaska Airlines Arena) on June 10, 2015. The schedule is as follows:
10:00am: Graduates (undergraduate and graduate students) arrive for check-in & staging
10:20am: Dean, Associate and Assistant Deans, Department Chairs, Interdisciplinary and Undergraduate Program Directors, and Participating Faculty (processional) check-in & staging
10:30am: Arena doors open to the public
11:00am-1:30pm: Graduation Program
1:30-3:00pm: All-School Reception
No. UW Commencement is on Saturday, June 13th. Please view the UW Commencement website for more information.
All students, faculty, staff, family and friends of the graduates are encouraged to join us.
Tickets are not required for this event.
These events will honor all graduates and soon-to-be graduates (those who graduate Autumn 2014 through Summer 2015).
Yes! Graduating undergraduates and graduates must RSVP using this link: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/sphosa/263319 Use the survey to indicate you will be attending the event and how many guests you will be bringing. Student registration for Graduation 2015 will close on Friday, May 22, 2015.
Yes! For this year’s celebration, at the request of students, wearing a cap and gown is strongly recommended. Information on ordering gowns
Yes! Refreshments will be provided at the reception following the ceremony.
Getting to the Hec Edmundson Pavilion:
Walking from Campus
Walk NE along Stevens Way, turn right on Snohomish Lane and go over the overpass.
Walking Map (pdf)
Regular Metro Transit service
Metro routes 43, 44, 48, 65, 75 and 271 will provide service to or near Husky Stadium via their regular routes. There may be schedule delays due to traffic.
From I-5 Going North or South:
1. Follow the signs to Seattle
2. Take Hwy 520 exit toward Bellevue-Kirkland.
3. Travel 1/4 mile and take the Montlake Boulevard exit.
4. At the end of the off ramp there is a stop light at Montlake Boulevard. Turn left.
5. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
6. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
7. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
8. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
From Highway 405 Going North or South:
1. From Hwy 405 take the Freeway 520 exit toward Seattle. This leads you onto the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge heading West.
2. Once across the bridge, take the Montlake Boulevard Exit. Turn Right.
3. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
4. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
5. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
6. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
Parking on Campus:
Students will need to pre-purchase parking permits ($14.00) from Commuter Services for guests wishing to park on campus. Day-of-event parking permits will be $15.
Yes! Hec Edmundson Pavilion is wheelchair accessible and we will have a seating area for those needing special assistance or accommodations. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at sphOSA@uw.edu for further information. We are happy to help!
Return to top