University of Washington School of Public Health
Graduation Celebration 2014 FAQ
- Where can I see and download photos of the event?
- When and where are this year's events?
- Is this the official University of Washington Commencement Ceremony?
- Who is invited? / Ticket info
- Who will be recognized as a graduate?
- Do I need to RSVP for this event?
- Am I supposed to wear a cap and gown?
- Will there be food and drink?
- How do I get there? Where do I park?
- Will accommodations be provided for persons with disabilities?
- Who helped make graduation happen this year?
2014 Graduation Speaker:
Dr. Maxine Hayes
Maxine Hayes, MD, MPH, was State Health Officer for the Washington State Department of Health from 1988-2013. She is clinical professor of Health Services in the UW School of Public Health and clinical professor of Pediatrics in the School of Medicine. Dr. Hayes is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and in 2006 was elected to the Institute of Medicine (IOM).
The 2014 SPH Graduation Celebration will take place at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion (Alaska Airlines Arena) on June 11, 2014.
9:30am – 10:00am: Graduating Student Check-In & Staging
10:00am: General Doors Open
10:30am – 1:00pm: Ceremony
1:00pm – 2:00pm: All School Reception
No. UW Commencement is on Saturday, June 14th. Please view the UW Commencement website for more information.
All students, faculty, staff, family and friends of the graduates are encouraged to join us.
Tickets are not required for this event.
These events will honor all graduates and soon-to-be graduates (those who graduate Autumn 2013 through Summer 2014).
Yes! Graduating undergraduates and graduates must RSVP using this link: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/britbele/200313. Use the survey to indicate you will be attending the event and how many guests you will be bringing. Student registration for Graduation 2014 will close on Friday, May 23, 2014.
Yes! For this year’s celebration, at the request of students, wearing a cap and gown is strongly recommended. Information on ordering gowns
Yes! Refreshments will be provided at the reception between 1-2pm.
Getting to the Hec Edmundson Pavilion:
Walking from Campus
Walk NE along Stevens Way, turn right on Snohomish Lane and go over the overpass. Walking Map (pdf)
Regular Metro Transit service
Metro routes 43, 44, 48, 65, 75 and 271 will provide service to or near Husky Stadium via their regular routes. There may be schedule delays due to traffic.
From I-5 Going North or South:
1. Follow the signs to Seattle
2. Take Hwy 520 exit toward Bellevue-Kirkland.
3. Travel 1/4 mile and take the Montlake Boulevard exit.
4. At the end of the off ramp there is a stop light at Montlake Boulevard. Turn left.
5. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
6. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
7. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
8. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
From Highway 405 Going North or South:
1. From Hwy 405 take the Freeway 520 exit toward Seattle. This leads you onto the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge heading West.
2. Once across the bridge, take the Montlake Boulevard Exit. Turn Right.
3. Travel across the Montlake bridge. You will see Hec Ed Pavilion on the right.
4. To access the E-10 or E-11 parking lots, turn right into the main stadium lot.
5. To access the C-21 parking lot (underground garage), turn left onto Pacific and make your first right. The garage is on your left.
6. To access the N-24 parking lot, continue on Montlake past Hec Ed. Go 1/2 mile to the visitor's entrance on your left. Follow the directional sign.
Parking on Campus:
Students will need to pre-purchase parking permits ($14.00) from Commuter Services for guests wishing to park on campus.
Yes! Hec Edmundson Pavilion is wheelchair accessible and we will have a seating area for those needing special assistance or accommodations. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at sphOSA@uw.edu for further information. We are happy to help!
Thanks to our staff and students who worked on the event!
Lauren Brackenbury, Laura Bravo, Tory Brundage, Julie Brunett, Sarah Cave, Michelle Chambers, Kristin Elko, Brit Exworthy, Ardith Feroglia, Julia Feyk, Anna Frazer, Gitana Garofalo, Amanda Graybill-Pennington, David Grayston, Gail Greenwood, Ashlee Harty, Jeff Hodson, Megan Ingram, Susan Inman, Karen Kirsch, Rory Murphy, Star Murray, Julie Nevins, Adrienne Nordland, Sean O' Hogan, Rachel Reichert, Trish Respalie, Ben Robinson, Laura Rutledge, Kevin Schuda, Stephanie Shadbolt, Samira Sharif, Nancy Shawn, Barb Snyder, Trina Sterry, Marcus Stringer, Jennifer Tee, Katie Wakefield