University of Washington School of Public Health
Certificate in Global Health Metrics for Pakistan Physicians
At a Glance
Trainees in the HME Certificate will focus on developing their competency in the following areas:
Population Health and Health System Performance Measurement
- Discuss the major causes of disease burden, the pattern and variability in health issues, as well as think critically about the magnitude and complex nature of global health challenges and ways to address them;
- Display knowledge of the most significant diseases, injuries and risk factors, including their causes, symptoms, treatment, prevention, and associated risk factors.
- Elaborate on specific topics such as: defining and quantifying health, measuring mortality and trends in adult and child mortality, diseases and risk factors in populations, the epidemiological transition, health inequalities, framework for health systems performance assessment, financing of health care;
- Compare and contrast the health status of different populations with respect to their disease burden, epidemics, human resources for health, organization and quality of health care delivery, health reforms;
- Describe the rationale, conceptual and historical basis of population health measurement;
- Critically examine different measures of population health and health system performance;
- Compare health information systems in different countries and discuss their strengths and weaknesses and the key challenges that they face;
- Identify the leading causes of death and explain the ways in which these estimates are constructed;
- Describe the conceptual framework and main applications in measuring inequalities in health, health system coverage and health expenditures;
- Compare and contrast the main sources of information on population health and health system performance;
- Explain and apply basic concepts of epidemiology, economics and health policy, mastered through the course's readings and problem sets;
- Calculate and interpret important health statistics such as disease incidence and prevalence, maternal mortality rates and ratios, disability-adjusted life years, attributable burden, and avoidable risk, as a result of the weekly problem sets - a blend of qualitative and quantitative questions.
Health Information Systems and Public Health Surveillance
- Describe the conceptual and historical basis for HIS and PHS;
- Contrast and compare the different types of data sources for both HIS and PHS and define their strengths and weaknesses;
- Identify and analyze the key challenges of data collection and management for both HIS and PHS;
- Determine and evaluate the key components of Health Information and Public Health Surveillance systems;
- Identify data accuracy and bias issues within health information and surveillance systems and interpret the impact they may have on certain populations;
- Understand and explain the importance of HIS and PHS programs and their influence on health policy;
- Critique the economic implications and policy justification for HIS and PHS;
- Classify gaps in information from current HIS and PHS.
Population Health Measurement
- Compare data collection systems for population health measurement, their strengths and weaknesses and the key challenges facing these systems;
- Recognize the challenges and contrast methods used to measure mortality;
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different methods for combining multi-dimensional information into measures of overall health-state levels;
- Describe the concepts and methods of causal attribution of summary measures of population health to risk factors, and its applications in disease prevention;
- Outline the use of population health measurement in health policy, planning and priority setting.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively in oral and written format, and to lay and professional audiences.
- Use appropriately on-line resources to perform comprehensive literature reviews.
- Display ability to put together grant proposals and scientific papers.
- Critique journal articles.