University of Washington School of Public Health
From April through December 2011, several hundred students, faculty, staff, partners and supporters contributed their time and ideas toward developing strategic goals and priorities for the UW School of Public Health. The process was designed to be comprehensive and inclusive, seeking broad engagement from faculty, staff, students, alumni, partners and friends. We used traditional forms of engagement such as meetings and focus groups, held discussions in the community, and solicited input virtually through online opportunities to participate in the process.
Planning activities and opportunities for feedback and interaction
- March 28, 2011: First Steering Committee meeting
- April 1, 2011: Planning process kick-off at SPH All Hands Meeting
- April and May, 2011: 30 discussions with students, faculty, staff, partners, and supporters to identify School strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats; 20 interviews with UW and community leaders; open solicitation of ideas on the Strategic Planning Website.
- May 17, 2011: Second Steering Committee meeting
- May 27 – June 14, 2011: Online survey with over 800 responses
- June 26, 2011: Third Steering Committee meeting
- Aug 3 – 4, 2011: 2-day SPH retreat at IslandWood with 75 faculty, staff, students and others
- September 8, 2011: Fourth Steering Committee meeting
- Sept 22 – Oct 14, 2011: Opportunities for feedback on the first public draft; 15 focus groups and presentations to student, faculty, staff and partners to collect feedback on the Mission, Vision, Values and Strategies.
- October 24, 2011: Fifth Steering Committee meeting
- Nov 15 – Dec 8, 2011: Opportunities for feedback on the second public draft
- December 19, 2011: Final Steering Committee meeting; Strategic Plan approved by Steering Committee for review by the School’s Executive Committee and Faculty Council
- December 2, 20111: Plan endorsed by the SPH Faculty Council
January 4, 2012: Plan endorsed by the SPH Executive Council