University of Washington School of Public Health
Undergraduate Public Health Major
How to Apply
Applicants to the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science must complete the following by the application deadline to be considered for admission:
- Minimum of 45 college credits
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Minimum grade of 2.0 in one introductory public health course from the following list: ENV H 111, G H 101, HSERV 100, NUTR 300, PHG 200. A 5-credit course from one of these areas is also acceptable: Anthropology (ANTH only), Geography (GEOG), Political Science (POL S), Psychology (PSYCH), or Sociology (SOC).
- Minimum grade of 2.0 in one introductory science course from the following list:
BIOL 118, BIOL 180, CHEM 120, CHEM 142, CHEM 145 or PHYS 114/PHYS 117
What We’re Looking For
The following factors determine the competitiveness of an applicant beyond the minimum requirements and are the criteria used when determining admission to the major:
- Overall academic record
- Grades in coursework relevant to the major
- Selection of and preparation for the appropriate BA or BS degree option
- The personal statement including writing ability and individual perspectives that would contribute to the Major
- Ability to make satisfactory progress towards the degree
Our Admission Vision
The Public Health Major shall seek to enroll classes rich in the abilities, academic commitments, diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and talents that create a stimulating environment and promote desired learning outcomes. Entering classes shall also include students who demonstrate the ability to overcome adversity or disadvantage to achieve their goals and those who show promise to represent the School of Public Health well in the communities in which they will serve and lead. Students should have also planned and prepared well for timely completion of their bachelor’s degree.
Steps to Apply
- We strongly encourage you to learn more about the Public Health major and the application process by attending an information session and reading through the Public Health Major web pages.
- Complete the online Public Health Application, including personal statement and transcripts for non-UW courses. This application will be available approximately one month prior to the next deadline, the third Friday of Spring or Autumn quarter.
Timeline for Applying to the Major
|Term of Entry||Application Deadline||Notification Period|
|Autumn Quarter||3rd Friday of Spring Qtr||3-5 weeks after the
|Winter Quarter||3rd Friday of Autumn Qtr|
Transfer students must also apply for general admission to the University and
abide by the UW Office of Admissions’ deadlines: Feb. 15 for Autumn Quarter and Sept. 1 for Winter Quarter.