Youth Food Education Class Assistant - Solid Ground Community Food Education
Solid Ground’s Youth Education team partners with area elementary schools to provide high-quality, standards-based nutrition education to students. We work directly with the school district, administrators, and teachers to ensure our curriculum is both enriching and relevant to their day-to-day coursework. Our educators focus on cooking and nutrition in the fall (8 weeks) with older students and cooking (8 weeks) or gardening (10 weeks) in the spring with younger students. We value the partnerships we build through these in-school nutrition series, and work to build on those relationships through other cooperative efforts around food and nutrition, including family nights and school-based health initiatives.
Volunteer class assistants help AmeriCorps youth educators with classroom setup, food preparation, class activities, and cleanup. At times, volunteers may be asked to lead a split-group of students during concurrent activities. Other duties may include unloading and loading kitchen equipment and washing dishes between classes. Each classroom within a grade level is taught the same 60-minute lesson with a break between classes. This usually means three back-to-back classes with breaks between, but sometimes it will only be two. This is a great opportunity to gain more experience in the classroom for volunteers interested in elementary education.Additional Details:
Hours per week (approx.): 3
- Interest in food justice/food security, cooking, nutrition education
- Ability to work with staff, volunteers, and participants with a variety of racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, lifestyles, and sexual orientations
- Ability to be nonjudgmental, positive, respectful, creative, consistent, and flexible
- Willingness to work both as part of a team and independently
- Comfortable working with children
- Knowledge of vegetables, cooking, and gardening a plus but not required
- All volunteers for this position must be at least 18 years old; email email@example.com to find volunteer roles for those under 18
Complete and submit a Solid Ground Volunteer Application online, or download the Word version and send it by mail, email or fax to the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whether applying online or via Word application, a signed Washington State Patrol Background Check form is required for all Solid Ground volunteers. Please print, complete, sign and submit this form by email, fax or mail.